Linux on PPC

changomarcelo

Friend of the elves
Yesterday I installed Linux in my Mac. I would like to know if anyone else tried something like this to discuss a few things.... :cool:

When I've got the entire system I'm thinking of putting linux on my duo (as listed below, when i get a monitor, k/b and mouse)which is 68K rather than PPC so it would be very interesting.

Well, this is what it happend to me:
I installed Mandrake Linux 8 yesterday but it didn´t boot and it didn´t appear any boot menu.
So, I have to open the firmware (CONTROL+Command+O+F) and type some strange commands.
After that, a boot menu appeared. I choose "l" and Linux begun to load. When I reset the Mac, and choose "m" at the boot menu to boot MacOSX, nothing happened. I was taken back again and again to the boot menu. I have to solve it re installing MacOSX.
After that , the boot menu didn´t appeard again.
Any idea? I'm afraid now to type the commands in the firmware because I won´t be able to boot Mac OSX again, but, now I can´t boot linux and I have 6GB of my Hard disk in use with Linux!!! :(

I'm not sure I can answer your question. However, I can tell you who can :)

http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/

Sign up or just search it, I'm sure this has been discussed to death there a few times.

I had YellowDogLinux on my Apple G3/266 (beige g3 mini-tower). It ran as fast as OSX on my G4/733. Which just goes to show how pig-ish osx is (although I do prefer osx to linux any day :p ).

PPC Linux, which I'm guessing is very much like yellow dog (redhat-based).

I would very much like a thread/forum for ppc linux and bsd's.

Good luck, I hope your ppc linux experiance is as good or better than mine was.

Ah yes, the bloatedness of OS X. Hopefully Apple will continue to put it through some slimming down workouts.

However, this is something I've been curious about for awhile. It seems that Linux on PPC and Linux on x86 would be a pretty good comparison of speeds. Better than the old Photoshop example we have been beaten over the head with.

It seems to me that if PPC is as fast as we think it is at lower MHz Linux running on both PPC and x86 would be the best way to compare the two. Anyone seen this done?

By the way...

I'm working on getting either Linux (debain) or NetBSD on one of my 68k computers. Anyone else been down that road before?

PS: Kernel boots fine and detects graphics, all my hard drives, serial ports, and even Ethernet (!!!). All I have to do now is re-partition.

I had LinuxPPC 2000 installed about a year and a half ago. It was very fast cruising the web with Netscape Communicator, and in general. Then Gnome crashed, BADLY, and ginked-up two files that FSCK couldn't fix/recover from. Then Mac OS X arrived, the rest is history. I sobbed for days at the loss of data that I tried so desperately to recover, all in vain.

are there any decent, free releases of linux i could install on my mac easily? i can't seem to find any,but then again, i don't know what i'm lookin for!

Posted by unlearnthetruth:
are there any decent, free releases of linux i could install on my mac easily? i can't seem to find any,but then again, i don't know what i'm lookin for!

I purchased LinuxPPC 2000 on CD for $20.00. It installed correctly the first time. But to be honest, I think it was developed on a Blue & White G3 just like mine. There was one issue though, the installer installed Japenese as the default language. After going to the website and deselecting the offending package and reinstalling (about 15 minutes), it worked well for about 1.5 years until Gnome crashed. I'm not a UNIX head by any means, but this was almost as easy to install for me as installing Mac OS on any Macintosh.

I upgraded to LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 and never got it to partition and install correctly. I think it might have had something to do with device numbers being less that 10 (example: /dev/disk1s10 would not work but /dev/disk1s6 would work) or something. I may be wrong on that one

I have tried mandrake linux 8.0, and I felt it was slow, but much faster than OSX. Be course I concerned on the software, I didn't use it for a long time.

I have to say that if we can get a good theme, it is much better than OS X.;)

Back