Linux vs MacOS X

d1taylor, well said. I also had a Sun Blade 100, as well has having run Linux since about '95, and using and adminning SunOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux. No desktop environment I have ever run on any of them could compare to Mac OS X. I hate X11 actually. Too much of a PITA for a desktop system.

Now if they could just lose NetInfo and go to flat files.....

I like X11 on mac. I will probably spend my life on commercial applications like photoshop but ever since x11.app came out, things like openoffice.org run very well. Linux makes you use only x11 and windows makes you use only commercial. We got the choice.

what are u guys saying!!!.

i have redhat installed (the best thing about this distro its supported almost my all.)

i have winxp too. (i don't use it, except for games)

and yes osx. this os proved to be the most usefull of all.
for example: tryin to type documents on Linux, using OpenOffice, was a problem. The font anti-aliasing and rendering is bad. (OpenOffice is not very functional either, [it will be though]).

Burining CD's, playing mp3, surfing, etc, is best on osx.

OSX (Darwin) completely supports opensource projects. many apps have been ported to osx. this just makes macs as useful as linux.

Also amazing technical support is available for mac.

most of all, its hassle free, and easy-to-use.

It will take more than a good gui for linux to harm Apple on the desktop. Right now it's relatively painful to install an application on linux for most endusers. On a Red Hat system, which I believe is the most common in North America you're faced with a nightmare of dependancies. Application Fooblitz relies on library libSnafu version 0.38 or greater but less than 0.63. libSnafu relies on a further nest of dependencies and so on.

Some linux distributions are better than this, on my other box I use <a href=http://www.gentoo.org>gentoo</a> but even that royally screws up on simple software installs occasionaly.

The biggest problem in installing MacOS X applications for most users is having to occasionaly type in a password.

It also depends on what markets we're talking about.

Consumers? Gamers and the occasional digital photo takers and websurfers? Why should they choose anything other than Windows XP Home? It's quite cheap (comes with the computer) and you can keep it up to date with Windows Update. Also, you can get about every game you like to run on that OS. Digicams come with drivers for that OS. It's perfect.

Businesses? Suddenly it's not the granny that has to install the OS. Suddenly you have an IT Admin to do it or even a whole department. Price matters here, and those persons _should_ be able to put together quite a good linux box for every employee. All the fancy stuff Windows XP and Mac OS X do don't really matter there. This is a chance linux has, and RedHat, IBM, SuSE and others are buying into that. And they might succeed.

And as different as those two are, there's a whole lot inbetween plus totally different markets. For example graphics design offices. There's a type of person I'd call the graphics-computer-geek/half-illiterate. Or something like that. And I'm one of them. I would _never_ accept that we pay a sys-admin for setting up our Macs. We're doing that on our own, because it's simple enough. We are just enough geeky to be able to do our own support of machines that go mad (which they rarely do). And that's why we're so keen to stay Mac forever. Because Apple has been providing hardware and software that work very well with our types of computer-people.

Linux isn't cutting into Apple here. Wintel does it a bit (with price and processor speed), but not really.

It's the other way round. Linux and Mac (and Sun and IBM and whatever), i.e. UN*X is cutting into Windows. On the server side. On the business side. In education. Meanwhile, Microsoft is losing its image. They're doing all they can to prevent that, but all the bugs and security holes and the fact that there just _are_ so many viruses for MS Windows variants work against them.

I applaud, when linux grows. And I applaud, when Apple grows. And I sincerely hope that we'll see a world where Microsoft holds a 60% share of the desktop computer market, Linux a 20% and Apple another 20%. Interoperability would then become an awesome business opportunity, too. And I'd become a system administrator for SMBs again...

Well said, Fryke. I hate seeing Windows bashing (well NT-based ones at least), because it IS a good OS. And might I say perfect for the average person. All they want to do is spend as little as possible to surf the web, get their email, and whatever other little things they do. Win2k/XP is perfect. I love my Mac and OS X, but for most people it would make no sense. They have come down in price, but are still expensive. There are people who get Macs for a reason. Windows PCs are the default. Imagine Repo Man products: "Computer". But some people do use Windows for a reason. And valid ones at that. Leave them alone. It's a computer after all; a sophisticated calculator, basically! I am also a car geek. I race a BMW M3. Do I make fun of people for driving a Honda Civic or Ford Taurus or the like? No. My needs for a car are totally different than others' needs. If all you need it for is to get you from point A to point B, then you need no more than your basic car. I would make fun of you for getting a Ferrari for your 10 minute commute!

I hate computer elitism. People need to calm down and get outside. :)

but guys updating my windows xp every week is a real pain.

M$ releases a security updated almost always.

i'm really tired of all this. why can't they come out with something quite stable, secure, as the first release.

Back