Lion: Splitting a video into clips without resizing?

Hippo Man

Hippo Man
I want to split a video into several clips without resizing. I know how to do the splitting in iMovie HD, but because that program likes to work with standard aspect ratios, the resulting clips are almost always resized and have annoying black bars on the top and bottom.

Is there a way to accurately split a video into clips without having the aspect ratio changed and the annoying black bars being added?

When I say "accurately", I mean this: I know that I can use QuickTime Player or QuickTime Player 7 to extract a portion of a video and then save it. I could do this repeatedly to get my clips, but it isn't accurate, because I can't position the selection area by exact frame numbers. The splitting facility in iMovie HD is indeed precise in this way, but it has the disadvantage that I described above.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
.​

I got the answer to my question:

It turns out that I can split the way I want using QuickTime Player 7. If I hover the mouse over the time indicator on the lower left and then click, I get a menu that gives me the option of choosing Standard or Frame Number. The Standard option is the default and it shows a timestamp, and the Frame Number option changes the display to frame numbers.

This allows me to precisely split my video into pieces, down to exact frame number boundaries.
.​

Back