List of all processes?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
How can I get a list of all processes running, from the Terminal?

On Linux and other OSes I believe I can run "ps -ef".

Even in 10.3.1, the "ps" man page doesn't seem to completely match "ps" the program, "-f" isn't an option regardless of whether I'm running as root or not.

Ripcord said:
How can I get a list of all processes running, from the Terminal?

On Linux and other OSes I believe I can run "ps -ef".

Even in 10.3.1, the "ps" man page doesn't seem to completely match "ps" the program, "-f" isn't an option regardless of whether I'm running as root or not.

Try "top"

Let me ask a different way - should I be able to get a complete listing of processes with "ps"? Right now I seem to only be able to get processes spawned by users after executing bash (or something like that - I know "ps -a" doesn't show me if I'm running iTunes)

Ripcord said:
...Which is very useful, but doesn't exactly give me a list of all processes =)
In what way? Try man top, and see what other modifiers you can use.

You need the option -x for ps to tell you about graphical processes. You also may want to specify -a for all processes of all users. Try "ps -ax", should just work fine.

Try ps -auxc. That'll show you all processes by all users, and will print out a few more details than just ps -ax.

If you liked the way the latter shows you the pathname & arguments for the running processes, then do ps -auxwwww (the w's will wrap long lines).

#ps -ef is AT&T unix syntax

For MACOS, which is bsd, #ps -aux will give similar results.

#top is just a filter for #ps, with #top showing the processes consuming the most CPU resources.

Most of the info reported by any version of #ps is very transient in nature. As an example, #ps may show a given process consuming 80% cpu, 2 seconds later the same process may show only consuming 3% cpu.

Back