Local network problem

fonsh

Registered
G4 MDD networked with Mini for approx. 3 years now via a LinkSys BEFSR41 wired router. Ethernet cables are CAT6's with gold-plated ends. Did an erase/install (+ updates) of Panther on G4. ISP is Comcast Cable. Just upgraded my Motorola modem from Surfboard 5100 to SB 5101 yesterday. My network settings are ok...file sharing is turned on...I can ping each 'puter from the other (showing my connection is good). I have internet access (showing that the router is still good according to Cisco). Now, however, I can't even bring up the window on the G4 asking for my pw....all I get is connection failed, no response from the server. From the Mini, I get Unknown User, incorrect password or login is disabled. I haven't a clue what the problem can be. Everything I do daily depends upon the network connection. Surely, someone in here should be able to help.

Now, however, I can't even bring up the window on the G4 asking for my pw....all I get is connection failed, no response from the server. From the Mini, I get Unknown User, incorrect password or login is disabled.

This isn't making any sense? Why should you have to supply a PW to get online with an always on connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsh View Post
Now, however, I can't even bring up the window on the G4 asking for my pw....all I get is connection failed, no response from the server. From the Mini, I get Unknown User, incorrect password or login is disabled.
This isn't making any sense? Why should you have to supply a PW to get online with an always on connection?

I *don't* need to supply a PW to get online with my always on connection. I even *said* I have internet access. The PW is needed to access my *local* network server (see the subject line of my post).

Here's an update. I held the reset button on the router in for 30 seconds to restore default settings. Now, when trying to connect, I *do* get the window asking for my password....but it tells me it's wrong. By default, the password is my admin pw.....yet, it won't work. I've experienced *this* before on occasion - very perplexing. This time, I can't seem to correct it. So, can anyone help?

... So, can anyone help?
You carry-on about your router and your MDD PM G4. You say nothing about your server, but that is apparently where your problem lies. After you give some relevant information, perhaps you will get some help.

I don't have a dedicated server! If you knew anything about 2 or more Macs on a local network, you'd know that each Mac is regarded as a server for the purpose of connecting.
The "relevant" info was given in the orig. post. Your snotty response is unwelcome, though I do thank you for taking the time to read.

I've a G4 MDD networked with Mini for approx. 3 years now via a LinkSys BEFSR41 wired router. Ethernet cables are CAT6's with gold-plated ends. Did an erase/install (+ updates) of Panther on G4. ISP is Comcast Cable. Just upgraded my Motorola modem from Surfboard 5100 to SB 5101. My network settings are ok...file sharing is turned on...I can ping each 'puter from the other (showing my connection is good). I held the reset button on the router in for 30 seconds to restore default settings. When trying to connect (to the Mini from the G4), I get the window asking for my password....but it tells me it's wrong. By default, the password is my admin pw.....yet, it won't work. I have internet access (showing that the router is still good according to Cisco). From the Mini (trying to connect to the G4), I get the same result. Will some kind soul help? TIA

Seems as though something might have changed on your Linksys router that is preventing file sharing between the Mac mini and the Power Mac. I would check your settings on there (DNS, firewall, etc.). Also, make sure that the settings on the new modem are consistent with that of the old modem. If you had the original modem in bridged mode so that the router becomes your gateway, you will have to do the same for the new one. This is the only thing I can think of that would be the cause of your disruptions since it seems that the Linksys is responding in some way to the change of modems.

Alright. I thought maybe someone *here* would know something. The only 2 responses I've had in the original thread were by people who apparently aren't hip to networking.

Looks like I'm wasting my time in this place. I'll go elsewhere.

Alright. I thought maybe someone *here* would know something. The only 2 responses I've had in the original thread were by people who apparently aren't hip to networking.

Looks like I'm wasting my time in this place. I'll go elsewhere.

So you just give up without even considering that forums are not IM sessions with instant responses? Nevermind the fact that I posted a possible issue you may be having. That's OK, though....it's your choice to stay or not.

Back