Lock Omniweb as the default browser?

AlanBDahl

Registered
Seems ever since I installed 10.1 all I have to do is look at my Mac funny and it resets the default browser to Internet Explorer. I'm looking for a way to lock Omniweb as the default web browser even if I install a new copy or do whatever is causing it to reset.

I know I could play tricks like renaming the two applications or deleting IE totally but I'd rather not as sometimes I need it and I would like each to keep it's correct name.

I assume there must be a resource somewhere that indicates the current browser and another that indicates the default. Does anyone have any idea if this is the case and if so how to reset them?

Thanks!

Launch system preferences -> internet and click the "web" label. Then set your browser in the upper pop-up field as you like.

Omniweb is my unique browser.

I've done that, of course but the setting won't stick. If you install a new copy of OmniWeb, click on an IE link, logout or just sneeze the setting reverts to IE. I don't want it to ever revert, I want OmniWeb forever!

Apologize, didn't realize that. A possibility is that the Finder has set your link files as created by IE. Try this: in the finder select one of those links, and get info. Select the option "open with" and set to Omniweb, then apply to all files. Now all your link files should point to OW.

The problem has not re-occurred since I made OmniWeb the default application for all .html files so I guess that was it. Wonderful, if I never see the bouncing "e" ever again I'll be happy!

Back