Lock Workstation?

N/A

Registered
I find it very smart of Apple to put in good stuff from NT in OS X PB like ProcessViewer (in NT known as TaskManager). What I do miss is an option of locking the computer.

In NT, I just press ctrl-alt-delete and hit "Lock Workstation". Is there any chance to lock a Mac running OS X without logging out (I want my downloads to continue in the backgroud after I've locked my computer and left it)?

Or do I need 3rd party software to do this?

TIA

N/A

I find it very smart of Apple to put in good stuff from NT in OS X PB like ProcessViewer (in NT known as TaskManager).
I feel uneasy reading this, especially when I think that a lot of people must indeed believe that the innovator is Microsoft.

What Apple was smart for, it is of buying NeXT, and not of putting "good stuff" like ProcessViewer in OS X. Indeed, ProcessViewer has been in NeXT Step ever since its inception in 1989. What's more, an equivalent of the ProcessViewer was always present in Unix. All this to say that Apple did not copy Microsoft a single bit in designing their system. It just happens that OS X looks a lot like NT because Microsoft stole so many ideas from NeXT.

Did you know that the idea of an application bar in Windows was "borrowed" from NeXT's dock ? (That dock is still present in OS X, as you know !)

OS X is NeXT's heir, not an NT rip-off.

Originally posted by Pascal
I find it very smart of Apple to put in good stuff from NT in OS X PB like ProcessViewer (in NT known as TaskManager).
I feel uneasy reading this, especially when I think that a lot of people must indeed believe that the innovator is Microsoft.

What Apple was smart for, it is of buying NeXT, and not of putting "good stuff" like ProcessViewer in OS X. Indeed, ProcessViewer has been in NeXT Step ever since its inception in 1989. What's more, an equivalent of the ProcessViewer was always present in Unix. All this to say that Apple did not copy Microsoft a single bit in designing their system. It just happens that OS X looks a lot like NT because Microsoft stole so many ideas from NeXT.

Did you know that the idea of an application bar in Windows was "borrowed" from NeXT's dock ? (That dock is still present in OS X, as you know !)

OS X is NeXT's heir, not an NT rip-off.

Cool!
I'm to green to remember anything about NeXT and so on. I have only used computers since the middle nineties.
So NeXT was earlier on with both dock and processviewer than NT? That's interesting...BTW, anywhere I can get a hold of screenshots of the NeXT OS with dock and processviewer?? That's would be awsome material to show my PC buddies in school =)

Thanks for the info!

N/A

Back