Locked Files (how 2 be rid of them!!?)

i have a file, on my desktop, which is locked, meaning it cannot be moved, nor deleted. Now this niggles me ALL the while! Can someone explain, how i can be rid of this file?!

NeYo

I think you can do this by opening file-info on it, and then unchecking the 'locked' option.
If that doesn't work, you'll have to open a terminal, and type

cd ~/Desktop
sudo rm -f NameOfFile

(This is probably a little more code than is needed, but it will cover you for most eventualities. If the locked file is a folder, you will need to make that -f a -rf.)

have you tried UNlocking the file? :)

Seriously. Get Info on the file and there should be a checkbox for "locked" that you should be able to uncheck.

Thanks Guys! .. Here's an Included Screenshot!

it looks like the only way, is terminal aimed, as i've got no clue how to do it otherwise!

Hopefully, the 'SS' will give a Better indication of the problem. Note that the file is, as far as i am aware Corrupted, maybe thats helps?! :confused:

Once More, thanks! :D

NeYo

Attachments

• locked.jpg
    locked.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 36
If you don't want to use the terminal, try an app called batchmod. It lets you change file permissions. Make sure that you understand file permissions before you delete anything though.;)

When i want to get rid of files that are undeletable (like the annoying 'belongs to root' message) i just startup photoshop (or any other program that is in Classic), make a file, and save it with the same name as the file I want to get rid of. Classic got no respect for mac os X :p
But then again: i dont know if this works with locked files.

Originally posted by lilbandit
If you don't want to use the terminal, try an app called batchmod. It lets you change file permissions. Make sure that you understand file permissions before you delete anything though.;)

BatchMod Worked a TREAT!! i just ticked 'unlock' and it was FINE! i think something referring to this should be placed in the FAQ's Section, it could be of some use! Thanks for all ya Suggestions tho! ... i did try Terminal, but it didn't give any positive response! Anyhow, BatchMod Worked Brilliantly! Thanks guys, that Stupid Files been bugging me, since i popped on there! :D

NeYo

Back