Locked Myself out

supanatral

Registered
I locked myself out of my mac's admin account however I do have a user account that I'm able to get into. Is there a way to be able to "crack" it?

I found a site that said that if you boot into the mac osx install cd, theres an option to reset the password, is this true with tiger v.10.4.8?

If I do need to reformat, the problem is the applications I've baught, since atleast one of them is only able to activate once, is there a way to back it up until after I format in which I can restore it?

Thanks guys!

Sorry if I'm a bit paranoid but because I've never had to use the cd to install before, I don't know at which point is the "point of no return". At which part of the setup do you have an option to reset password?

I've never had to do it myself but I have booted from CD and poked around. So from memory, boot from CD but don't start any installation. Once you're booted look at the menus at the top, one of the menus contains an option to reset the PW.

If I remember correctly ...
Boot from the Install DVD, answer the first 1 or 2 questions. Then from the Menu Bar select Utilities or there even may be a Password Reset option right there. -- You really can't go too far with Restoring without having to click OK a few times.

Good Luck
Peter

Back