ppcebay

Registered
Hi guys, I am finally back online afther a long time and I am glad to be back here with you.
I have a little problem and hopefully one of you will be able to help me. I just got a new iMac, a 800Mhz one. I have installed MacOS X Server 10.1.4. The problem comes when I log in as a user in my computer. After puttin log in and password the little spinnig icons comes and it take a few minutes before I get to my desktop. If I try the automatic log in, it does the same thing, load the all system fast and then stop at the log in part. Well what could it make it so slow. My brother as a 700Mhz imac with the same software and it does the all process a lot faster. I tryed to low lwvel format the HD and to reinstall everything but it keep doing the same thing. and I am getting. :(

Pleas help me t find the solution or let me know if anyone else has the same problems.....

Tnx Guys

No, even with all the network prefs off it still do the same thing.... I do not know why.... help confused:

You are right, if i physically unplug the mac from the line the login process is imediate. What should I do now to stop this thing? Is there any option or prefs that I have to shut off to stop the computer to do an online check of my pass.
You kindly found my problem, now do yuo have a solution for me Doc? :D

try perhaps to create another user and log with it when you network is connected
like this oyu will perhaps find if this trouble is recorded in a global network prefs or only in your user prefs
if it is a bad pref and you have aprowimativly found a preference file which is the one
try to put it away (on your desktop and retry)
to see if it depends on this "corrupted"pref !

goodluck

Ok I believe you have changed the IP address of the server at some point. This cause the login delay as the Netinfo database is looking for your old IP address. This is from what I understand.

The quickest way to resolve this problem is to run the setup Assistant software again keep all your setting the same and reenter the ip address reboot and you are up and running. This will clear up the netinfo problems and your server will login in in seconds.

This had me stomped for weeks until I found a thread on the Apple Discussion board.

Starbuck

I'm not to sure what it edits in the netinfo database. This is something that I keep putting off learning :rolleyes:

Still getting to know the command line.

But re running the setup assistant resolves the problem as I had the problem on two osx servers

I not to sure what it edits in the netinfo database. This is something that I keep putting off learning :rolleyes:

Still getting to know the command line.

But re running the setup assistant resolves the problem as I had the problem on two osx servers

First of all tnx to alll of you, well to StarBuck I tryed to lunch the et up assistant again, and it tells me that I you can run the setup assistant just after the first run. You are right, I did changed my IP from a dynamic one to a static one, and I guess that is a problem, is there any way to reset the old IP from somewere else?

Tnx, in the mean time I will try the other option yuo guys have gave me,

Ciao

I have also been informed that you can edit the netinfo database you will have to look at all the entries. Make sure that you have the right IP address. I will check for you later on today if I have time to see if I can give you a little bit more of a helping hand.

Look in a few text files that are in various places. "/etc/hostconfig" is the most important. Also check /etc/httpd/httpd_macosx.conf and change the server name or IP addresses there too. If you have added any unixy software like postfix for mail, be sure to change those configuration files too.

And restart.

Hey guys, Tnx to all of you. I finally solved the problem, I just made another user, logged in from there and woila, the game was done. I do not know why it was doing that but yuo where probably right on thet IP stuff, the fact is that now my log in time is short again, I am very glad you guys where there to help me out....

Ciao

Back