logging out of aqua in terminal

JustinHoMi

Registered
Hi. Is there a way to log out a user via terminal and take them back to the OS X login screen? I'm writing a shell script to logout a user if he has been on for more than a certain amount of time, and to disable usage during certain hours.

Thanks,
Justin

JustinHoMi

Registered
Yeah, hopefully it is. I haven't messed with Applescript much under OS X, I'll have to check it out. Does anyone know how to accomplish this with a cocoa or carbon app? I have just enough experience that I might be able to through that function in there :)

Justin

rharder

Do not read this sign.
If you mean, build a scriptable app just to log out, first see if there's already a scriptable way to log out. You can call applescript from the command line, but I forget what the command is. There's a thread on it here somewhere.

-Rob

JustinHoMi

Registered
Well, I looked at the Finder dictionary and there wasn't any reference to a logout command. I did see restart and shutdown, so I think I'm looking in the correct place.

I'll have to check out calling scripts from commandline, that'd be cool anyways.

I was thinking about putting it in a carbon or cocoa app b/c the program I'm writing utilizes a simple carbon app that I wrote to alert you when the computer is about to logout. If I could just find a shutdown method from there it would make it a lot smoother.

Still, as long as I get it done I'm happy :)

Justin

btoneill

keeper of the cheese
Try: sudo -u username_to_kick_off kill -9 -1

Just don't do it as root, or you'll kill your box :)

Brian

scruffy

Notorious Olive Counter
That's a bit of a hardcore way to do it... It'll work, but be prepared for noise and nastiness as programs don't get a chance to cleanly close their open files etc.

isolder

Registered
It seems like it should be such an easy task, too, one that closed all programs properly, too..

btoneill

keeper of the cheese
Ok, remove the -9 and a properly written program should shutdown gracefully, emphasis on the properly. You could run it without the -9, let any apps that shut down nicely shutdown, then run it again with -9 to kill any stubborn ones :)

Brian