login delays in 10.3 and above

dust541

Registered
running a G4 1.25 DP with 1 gig of memory running OS 10.3.8. After I login, takes about 3 minutes to get to the desktop. After that, everything is golden... updated to latest OS 10.3.8 with all software updates. Tried new user, booting up in safe mode, using disk utility, repaired permissions, taking all peripherials off machine, no startup items or automatic login to any server (even disconnected ethernet cable) and still I get the delay... Any ideas?

ps - haven't tried mac cocktail or any other 3rd party app and I'm pretty sure that archive and install will take care of the problem. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

If it happens with a new user also, try Cocktail, Onyx or Yasu.

If one of these doesn't correct the probem, Archive & Install.

thanks bob. I'll give that a shot when I go back over to the client's on Friday. I'll let ya know. Thanks again and enjoy your day.

also be sure that they didn't setup any directory service bindings by mistake. i've seen people turn these on by mistake and then cause massive delays when booting and logging in. /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access

unless they are in an AD environment, Active Directory should not be checked. same for NetInfo and BSD FlatFile & NIS.

Think i can help. mine took over five minutes. I went through the library in my home folder. In turns out, when I dragged the Fonts folder to the desktop, my login time was reduced down to five sconds! Of course there was over 2000 items in that folder. I may have to load fonts as I need them at this point but its much better than waiting five minutes. GL

Back