login items

mspain77

Registered
i'm a graphic designer who just recently figured out that extensis suitcase font management program (in my opinion) suck and i went to linotype font explorer (it's free!). i have set my linotype to automatically launch at login, but it gives me a warning box that 'to avoid conflict, i need to remove extensis from my login items'. i have already deleted the app., ane every time i select it in the 'login items' box and hit the - button, nothing happens. also, whenever i check another login item to 'hide at login', it automatically checks the extensis bos too. HELP!! I want to remove it for good! Thanks.

nevermind, i think it automatically removed it after reboot. i don't see it anymore, and after deactivating my Quark xtension, i should be good to go.

I've had exactly the same experience – but without the automatic removal of the login item after reboot. It just won't go away in spite of all my attempts to disable and delete it!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to permanently get rid of the Extensis Suitcase login item?

First solution: here

Second solution:
I don't have Suitcase installed, so I'm guessing on this. But it's possible the login item is owned by root and not editable by whatever user you're logged in as.

See if there's an item in the standard applications startup items folder, which is here:

/Library/StartupItems/

This isn't the Library that's in your home directory, although you can check there too. To go to the directory above, open a Finder window, and press Command-Shift-G. You'll see a dialog. Paste the directory above into the text field and hit Enter.

If you see the Extensis item as a folder in this directory, you should be able to move it from there to your desktop, which should in effect render it unusable as a startup item. If it's owned by root, Finder will ask you for your username and password before you can move it.

If you don't see the Suitcase folder in that directory, also try looking in the launchd directory, which is another place that a file might exist which would start a service on boot. To do this, press Command-Shift-G again and enter the directory

/Library/LaunchDaemons/

You may see a file that contains "extensis" or "suitcase", or both. If you see one of these, try moving it to your desktop.

If you can do either of these steps, try rebooting and see what happens.

Back