Login oddities

MBennett

Registered
I am running the latest version of OSX 10.4 on a dual 1.8 G5.

When I start my computer and log on, finder comes up and shows me three windows and then Little Snitch will alert me that the app "directory service" want to connect to an ip address using UDP on a certain port. (Sorry, I'm at work, and I don't have the specific ip and port number with me).

At that point, I will either allow or deny the connection (which doesn't seem to make a difference) and then close the three windows and go on about my business. After I'm done, the computer wil eventually log me off and go into power saving.

When I come back to use the computer again, I will spin up the drives by hitting enter, and get the logon screen. I will then log on and the same three windows are present in the same exact position and the app "directory service" will again try to connect.

I'm not sure if the windows and "directory service" are at all related, but why do I keep starting up with these same windows in the same positions? I am a graphic designer and we have several macs here at work running osx (10.3.9 to 10.4.xx) and none of them do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be causing this and what I can do to correct it?

Thanks for the help in advance!

This is my home computer, and it is the sole machine at my residence, therefore isn't on any local network. Does directory service apply to an internet connection such as dsl as well?

Not _really_. It's meant for getting login-information and the like from a server. As wikipedia puts it: "A directory service is a software application — or a set of applications — that stores and organizes information about a computer network's users and network shares, and that allows network administrators to manage users' access to the shares. Additionally, directory services act as an abstraction layer between users and shared resources." (- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_service -)

Have you ever tried to _manually_ logout and then reboot to see whether it happens again once you are logged in again?

When I shut down my machine, I just select "shut down" from inside of my login account, but I will try logging out first and then shutting down to see if that affects anything.

Back