Login to a win2k Domain

macxonly

Registered
Hey all,

I had a simple little question that has been bugging me for a while. I have done a bunch of research to no avail:

Is there a way for the MacOS X login prompt to authenticate users on a win2k domain (obviously with a little scripting...perhaps)?

We have a couple of macs in a lab running OSX, and we need to be able to use all the users' usernames and passwords (from the win2k server) so that we can map their network space and make sure that the users are allowed.

Basically act like a windows client on a windows server with no degree of seperation, using the windows authentication scheme and current usernames and passwords.

Any help, links, or articles would be wonderful.

I think there is some material on the Microsoft business unit web site. Supposedly at the login, you type your username/domain and your password, but I've never been able to get this to work well.

Hmm...interesting.

This warrants research! ;)

I've got a WinNT domain at school, and a Win2k domain at home. I've been wondering about that as well. I'll see what needs to be done.

I noticed that Orielly sells a book called Using Samba Second Edition which tells you:

how to integrate Samba's authentication with that of a Windows PDC

which is exactly what I need, but I don't have money to fork out on a book I will use for like a two pages worth of information. Does anybody know how to use samba to authenticate to a windows PDC (Primary Domain Controller)? Or at least where I can find information?

Thanks for the help.

Back