Logitech Elite keyboard & Panther

dtruett1

Registered
Does anyone use a Logitech Elite keyboard with Panther? The current driver is not officially supported, per customer support (India), but I know that sometimes drivers will function anyway. If not, I'm holding off on upgrading from Jaguar.

I too was shopping around for a new keyboard recently and did not find a single one that was specifically advertised to support Panther. That's probably just because they were all manufactured prior to the release of OS.X.3; most Macpatable drivers do actually work in OS X.3, as you correctly surmised. I downloaded the one for the Elite and it installed fine on OS X.3.2. Nifty preference pane, too! Of course, without the actual keyboard I couldn't test it further, but the documentation that came with it said that it requires 10.1.2 or higher, so you should be all right.

(Incidentally, I ended up purchasing the sort of dated looking iMedia from Macally, because Amazon was offering it dirt cheap-- no tax, free shipping-- and I wanted a wired keyboard for the USB hub and power button. Picking it up from UPS today.)

Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy Panther! :)

andychrist said:
I too was shopping around for a new keyboard recently and did not find a single one that was specifically advertised to support Panther. That's probably just because they were all manufactured prior to the release of OS.X.3; most Macpatable drivers do actually work in OS X.3, as you correctly surmised. I downloaded the one for the Elite and it installed fine on OS X.3.2. Nifty preference pane, too! Of course, without the actual keyboard I couldn't test it further, but the documentation that came with it said that it requires 10.1.2 or higher, so you should be all right.

(Incidentally, I ended up purchasing the sort of dated looking iMedia from Macally, because Amazon was offering it dirt cheap-- no tax, free shipping-- and I wanted a wired keyboard for the USB hub and power button. Picking it up from UPS today.)

Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy Panther! :)

Great customization on the Elite. You can reset all of the defaults for their "extra" keys. For example, "shopping' brings up LaunchBar, "messenger" opens the system prefs, etc. Got mine for a whopping $13 at justdeals.com. They seem to have a lot of Logitech stuff. Might keep it in mind if the Macally is a little too "vanilla."

$13?! You lucky devil. Yup, that Elite sure is one sweet keyboard. And Logitech keys have a better feel to them than the Macally. But I was stuck because I really needed the USB hub, which the Logitech doesn't have. And the only other features I was looking for were volume control and a power button... and black keys. Actually, would have bought the super vanilla IceKey for its "scissor" action and compact design, but that driver only pretended to install on Panther. Darn! Well at least the crappy iMedia sort of goes with my old BondiMac.

Well I'm on my way to OOPS... I mean UPS, oops.

Happy Residents Day.

Back