Logitech Mouseman - extra buttons kinda work...

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
Just something I thought was interesting:

I have a Logitech "Wheel" USB 4 button mouse attached to my Yosemite G3. In OSX/PB - without any 3rd-party drivers installed - the right mouse-button actually WORKS in some apps - including Finder. And it's not just a redundant 'regular' mouse click either -- the right button brings up a rudimentary contextual menu (for instance, I can 'eject' removable media from the contextMenu). I wonder if Apple included this extra-button functionality expressly for 3rd-party mice, or if there's a multi-button Apple mouse on the drawing board...

Even more surprising, the WHEEL works in some apps, most notably Omniweb! Haven't yet identified any others apps, but who knows.

Originally posted by brianleahy
Just something I thought was interesting:
the right mouse-button actually WORKS in some apps - including Finder.
Even more surprising, the WHEEL works in some apps, most notably Omniweb! Haven't yet identified any others apps, but who knows.

All cocoa apps should have the scroll function default (mail.app and some of the preference panels for instance). It is now part of Aqua. Instead of only click, up, down, left and right, the OS now supports right click and scroll up and down as well. If i remember correct it actually sports something like 30 different mouse actions. The others simply do not have a predifined function attached to them.

Carbon apps only support the scroll function, if defined so by the programmer.

Excuse me for any mistakes, i remember i heard something like this somewhere.
It works with my Logitech optical scroll mouse aswell.

DJ

You are correct. Moreover Carbon apps can't support the scrollwheel unless they use the new event model which comes with Carbon 1.1. It's currently only in alpha, and most developers will probably wait for final before upgrading.

Back