Logitech QuickCam Chat not working.

supermodella

Registered
Hi, I just tried hooking up my webcam to my PowerPC G4, and I did hook it to the back, and it didn't work because apparently it's not compatible. So I downloaded Macam and installed it, and I opened the Macam to view the webcam, and it shows me for a few seconds then says "Status: USB communication problem". It also will show in VideoViewer, but it won't connect to Adobe Flash Player 9 [via stickam.com.]

This is what is says in the system profile:
Camera:

Version: 0.00
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer:
Product ID: 0x092c
Vendor ID: 0x046d

Help?

It looks like it's using USB 1.0, which only allows speeds upto 12 mb/s. I'm guessing that the camera is bottlenecking on that speed, causing your connection problem. If you have a USB 2.0 port, try that (a USB hub could also cause a slow down). Otherwise, you'll need to get a USB 2.0 card to install in your PowerMac.

It could also be that the camera is just a USB 1.0 device, and I am completely wrong.

Well, actually:

System Requirements:

* Pentium II 500, Celeron, Athlon processor or higher
* Microsoft Windows 98SE, 2000, Me or XP
* Available USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 port
* Windows compatible soundcard and speakers
* CD-ROM drive
* 200 MB free hard drive space
* 64 MB RAM minimum

It says it needs at least 1.1 in the description.
So shouldn't it work?
:/

It should work, but then again, the drivers included with the camera are not the drivers that you are using. You could try using the demo of these drivers:
http://www.ioxperts.com/products/webcamx.html

which may/not have better support for your camera.

Maccam's website says you can lower the frame rate/quality of the camera, which may help with your signal getting through. They also list these general troubleshooting steps:
: Check your USB cables. Restart macam. Unplug and replug the device. Make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X. Connect the camera directly (without USB hubs) to a built-in USB port of your computer (not to a third-party host adapter). Check in the release notes, the latest news section and the notes on your camera if it is a known problem.
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/faqs.html

If you happen to have a camcorder with firewire/iLink, you can hook it up, and OS X will use it as a webcam without any third-party drivers (generally).

Tried IOX. Didn't work. :/ No support for Chat.
I also tried replugging/restarting my cam/Macam, and that didn't work either.
How do you lower the frame rate?

Back