Long and interesting but harmless Terminal script

Red_beardo

Registered
Hi,

I was mucking around with Maven for Eclipse the other day, working on an audio visual project and I was struck by how cool the terminal executing massive amounts of commands is.

I have an odd request. I was wondering if people knew of a terminal script that outputed a lot of data, ideally varied and interesting data (not just text), but which didn't really do anything to one's computer.

I would ideally use this as a live video filter in my VJ work - or alternatively try and screen record the resulting output.

What would infact be even better, is if I could somehow create a screen grab of each new line outputed in terminal then comp those individual screen grabs into a movie file.

Strange request I realise - but any help in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Perhaps something along the lines of:
Code:
find /System -type f -print0 | xargs -0 cat
That will output the contents of every file in your System folder. Just remember that you can stop it by pressing Control-C.

You could fine-tune the criteria of the find command to select only certain kinds of files, and of course you could point it to any directory you want.

Back