Longhorn, BlackComb??

uoba

Re: member
Can someone enlighten me? Should we be worried? How will they be different (since they, or at least BlackComb will be a reinvention)?:confused:

Longhorn is just an upgrade to XP. It is still based on NT technology. It is however bigger than they originally set out to make it so it may be more than just an "upgrade".

Blackcomb will be to XP what OS X was to 9. It will have a 3D hardware accelerated GUI like OS X's Quartz Extreme and a completely new file system.

From what I've read about it's new UFS file system, every major OS should be worried.

It's still years away thought so who knows what might lie ahead for OS X.

I read this article on The Register http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25878.html

All very interesting - but I'm confused now.

What does Longhorn do that OSX doesn't will OSX keep up?

I also remember that Apple have taken on senior BeOS people. I'm sure that BeOS rejected the database in OS idea, because it was unworkable. Does this mean that MS are makeing a mistake with Longhorn?

So many questions.....

Any answers or ideas?

To use a database driven filing system can be as good or bad as not to use a database driven filing system. It really comes down to what you're using your computer for.

The BeOS way of having multiple meta information in the filing system was cool and fast. If you are an MP3 junkie and use E-Mail a lot, that's a great thing, as you can sort MP3 files by artist in the file viewer, for example. The same goes for E-Mail, as the single mails are just plain files with meta data like 'sender', 'date', 'whatever'.

I personally think that a database driven filing system will - at first - slow down your eXPerience quite a bit.

I rather want a good journaling file system for Mac OS X plus a good indexing drive that indexes changed parts of the file system whenever the computer is idling away (and is on power for a notebook).

Longhorn? BlackComb? Wake me up in twenty years when it acctually arrives. Microsoft said they would drop the windows 9x architechture years ago, but they only recently did it. Don't trust the promises and plans that come out of Microsoft.

Longhorn? BlackComb? Wake me up in twenty years when it acctually arrives. Microsoft said they would drop the windows 9x architechture years ago, but they only recently did it. Don't trust the promises and plans that come out of Microsoft.

The same can be said for Apple as well.

Apple said they would drop the Mac OS technology in 1995 in favor of Copland, but that promise never materialized and we had to wait until 2001 for OS X.

Both MS and Apple do what they can to release what they think is the best consumer products on the market.

Sometimes promises are kept, sometimes they aren't.

Atleast Windows was able to dump their 9x consumer platform in 6 years, instead of the 14 it took Apple to kill Mac OS.

Just to back gogol, when Apple came out with a GUI MS promised to have that within 6 months. It took 3 years...

Don't trust anything till it's beta-testing

Just to back gogol, when Apple came out with a GUI MS promised to have that within 6 months. It took 3 years...

What can I say...? After Apple raped the Alto GUI, Xerox was less willing to give guided tours of PARC in exchange for stock options. :)

All I'm saying is that Microsoft tends to rant and rave about all this cool stuff (aka make-us-money-stuff) that is 'right around the corner' when in reality it tends to be delayed a lot.

All that security stuff is BS, nobody will buy into it. They want one system to make things secure, when in reality multiple systems are more secure. The reason most of the worms and viri exist now is because windows is dominant. No matter what they do, they can't make a 'bulletproof' OS.

if MS are looking into their next OS, what are Apple up to? (Okay, I know, OSX WAS Apple's major leap into the future, but surely there are plans afoot?)

man, right now i wish M$ had something like Quartz Extreme... otherwise, why the hell did I just buy a 128MB DDR-RAM Radeon 8500LE for?!!

(other than Grand Theft Auto 3! :D :cool: )

man, right now i wish M$ had something like Quartz Extreme... otherwise, why the hell did I just buy a 128MB DDR-RAM Radeon 8500LE for?!!

Ah, but you forgot, Windows is not hampered by a sluggish GUI.

But worry not, Windows Blackcomb will have a 3D accelerated GUI so maybe your Radeon will be of some use to you then! :)

Then is also 2005-6 so on second thought, maybe not. :(

Guys, stop worrying that much. If Microsoft *ever* gives out an operating system that is really, really great, why should we be sad about it? It'll make Apple and all other players be even better or die. That's how the market works. Okay, MS *has* dirty hands in this market and will eventually be punished, but it didn't kill Apple or Linux just yet, right? And why? Because there are (and will be) things you just can't do (right) on Windows.

If we were talking about a different market, like, say, automobiles. What would happen if Mercedes Benz came out with a car that would 'solve it all'. Good (as in NO POLLUTION AT ALL) to the environment, small size, big interior, fast speed, cheap price. Would every other market player just fade away? Nope. They'd copy what they can without infringing patents, they might license others and will innovate on other playing fields inside the same market.

So, okay. Microsoft might release a killer operating system sometime in 2003 or 2004. Apple will easily keep up with the pace, I believe. Right now, Apple is even *creating* playing fields like Desktop Video. I'm sure they are planning on creating others. They're also leading those fields, because as their creator, they're one step ahead.

Don't let the hype scare you. Microsoft makes itself appear to be ahead of everyone else, but you have to remember two things:

1) Microsoft promises a lot of stuff that never gets delivered, or shows up years late. Anyone who followed along with NT 5 development knows this. Some of the stuff that was promised for NT 5 (which was due in 1998, IIRC) still hasn't shipped as part of W2K or XP.

2) Microsoft talks about things years in advance. Apple keeps silent about things until they're practically ready to ship. Look at Quartz Extreme. Microsoft announced a similar feature for Windows before QE was announced, but it isn't actually due until at least 2003 -- probably late 2003. Apple almost certainly started work on QE before MS started on its similar system.

On the issue of filesystems: Apple has been hiring ex-Be people, and job listings have asked for people with experience implementing journaling filesystems on Unix. It's clear that Apple is working on something new, and I'd be surprised if it didn't have BeOS-style databse-like features.

I'm actually pretty curious about how a 3D accelerated GUI would work. :D I bet it comes out from Apple before it does from Microsoft...

Back