Longhorn goes to pieces

azrad

Not-so-junior Member
Bill Gates' dream of an end-to-end search tool for corporate networks remains just that: a dream, at least until the end of the decade.

Advanced search features that Gates has termed the "Holy Grail" of Longhorn, the next major version of Windows, won't be fully in place until 2009, Bob Muglia, the senior vice president in charge of Windows server development, told CNET News.com.

CNETAsia

The question for me here, is: Has Apple really got plans to bring this to market earlier? Now _this_ would maybe make a splash in the business world.

Microsoft seems to be unable to react to the market in time, I think lately... Longhorn won't see the light of day until 2006, now its feature set is in question (although it probably might have changed anyway until '06), Windows XP SP2 takes longer than anticipated (and is MUCH needed out there because of its better security measures)...

Apple must use this window. It's important. Windows XP is growing 'old' - and its lack of security is a very widely known issue. And a big one, too. I hope Apple can kick some butt with the introduction of what Tiger will deliver at WWDC. And then announce that it'll ship before the end of the year...

i think Apple has done a good job in the transition of OS 9 to OS X compared to Microsoft when they released Win98 to replace Windows 3.11. We are talking about major changes in the OS. Yet somehow, not many of Windows-based Users switch to OS X regardless the ' Switch ' campaign by Apple.

I've learnt one thing when working with PC Users, to them Mac OS is something that is out-of-this-world thing. They simple put, Macs are Macs and doubt that Mac can co-exist with PC.

Maybe instead of showing how Mac overwhelmed PC, they can start show how Mac works with PC.

=)

They've tried THAT in the switch campaign, too. And it was Windows 95, btw., that replaced Win 3.11.

I really, really hope for an extensive Apple ad campaign about 'security' by now. And just at the end of the ad, they could also mention that their machines are also gorgeous - and faster. ;-)

I think Apple should have bought out Connectix, personally. Then we could have had 'Windows Classic'

ops.. yeah.. it was Win95... ehehe...

hopefully the new OS will gain more popularity among PC users.

"I think Apple should have bought out Connectix, personally. Then we could have had 'Windows Classic'"

I thought I was the only one who thought that! Wouldn't it be wonderful...

azrad said:
Bill Gates' dream of an end-to-end search tool for corporate networks remains just that: a dream, at least until the end of the decade.

Advanced search features that Gates has termed the "Holy Grail" of Longhorn, the next major version of Windows, won't be fully in place until 2009, Bob Muglia, the senior vice president in charge of Windows server development, told CNET News.com.

CNETAsia
The title reminds me of an old Patsy Cline song "I fall to pieces".For those not old enough Patsy Cline sang country back in the late fifties early sixities.

Back