Longhorn Release Date...woot.

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
Go here to see what I mean. Now tell me, are they really gonna call it Longhorn!? Windows Longhorn!? Is it just me or does that not roll off my tounge?

So they'll release it when it's half-baked instead of still doughy.

I think Longhorn is the codename, like Jaguar or Panther. Who knows if they'll keep it as part of the name like Apple's doing.

Well, in 2005, we'll be talking about 10.5 if everything OS X continues as expected. Quite surely, even 10.4 will be quite a tough competitor, as even Panther looks to me like a clear winner.

But Longhorn isn't the only thing Microsoft. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft will release some pretty service packs for XP until then.

It's Microsoft Longhorn. Not Microsoft Windows Longhorn... altho there are still flapping windows in Longhorn... hmm...
I heard Longhor is just gonna be a service pack... I'm wrong, right? Heh.

IIRC the flapping windows are more a technology demo than anything else, no?

I'm still surprised that MS isnt releasing its next OS until 2006... they must have something planned for XP... or otherwise its just a stupid move and they are going to be a bit behind if Apple keeps up with the OSX improvements :)

2005???
Wow, I'm suprised M$ can keep that train of thought for THAT long as I thought everyone working at M$ suffered from a very bad case of ADD or worse!

Can you just imagine how much better Mac OS will be by then? Surely surpassing whatever they come out with by then! :D

What, it's not even going to be called Windows anymore? Geez, set up a standard for once in our lifetimes, Microsoft!

They are working on a 64-bit version of XP to compete with Panther, so I presume we'll see that at some point before Longhorn's release. Yeah, I know, big whoop.

Originally posted by arden
What, it's not even going to be called Windows anymore?

Who said that? People here have clearly said that Longhorn is a codename. Every recent version of Windows has had one. OS X, of all things, has had codenames as well (believe it or not!)

Geez, set up a standard for once in our lifetimes, Microsoft!

Please tell me you have a better gripe with them than what the consistency of their product naming.

They are working on a 64-bit version of XP to compete with Panther, so I presume we'll see that at some point before Longhorn's release. Yeah, I know, big whoop.

The fact that they're building a 64-bit version of XP has nothing to do with Panther - Panther is barely even a 64-bit OS itself (which Apple has said repeatedly)

Longhorn, on the other hand, could be considered more of an OS X competitor, attempting to steal some of the technology ideas from Apple and one-up them. Some of the materials released so far, if they in any way reflect what Longhorn will look like, may actually provide some real competition to OS X from a usability and "digital hub" standpoint, and surpass it in several areas. I would, however, love to see OS X blow past anything that Microsoft is trying to build in the 2-3 years' lead time that Apple has...

NOt only does Windows Longhorn not roll off my tounge, It also sounds a bit.. well dirty, I dont wanna sound like an oversexed teenager but I mean LongHorn?? Thats just asking for bad jokes.

... and quite surely, Steve Jobs himself did one. He showed both a panther and a longhorn and asked which one looked better. ... And also mentioned that Panther would arrive at the end of this year.

Lognhorn is pretty naff really. Especially considering that M$ can't design UI(s) to save their lives. All that blue! To much of any saturated colour like that is a no, no. After staring at that for a few hours it will send your vision orange!

:D

Originally posted by Zardoz
All that blue!

And when 785,000 of the 786,432 pixels on my screen are dull grey, it's that much better?

(Though I'll agree, the guys that built the XP default theme appear to be colorblind, whereas Apple appears to at least had a real design team on Panther, even if I don't agree with their choices =)

Ripcord:

1) I was just going off of what Cow (a.k.a. UNIX X11, that's what I call him since I don't want to call him UNIX and I can't call him Hacker anymore, and he moos all the time) said: "It's Microsoft Longhorn. Not Microsoft Windows Longhorn..." I don't know how much basis this has, though. (Yeah, I know OS X has codenames: Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, and Panther.)

2) I actually do, that was just about the previous sentence. I have quite a few better gripes.

3) Okay, so it's not really to compete with Panther (though it is, since it's Windows), it's to function on 64-bit AMD architectures. It's still an intermediate step between the original XP release and Shofar (a shofar is a long horn that makes a loud noise).

In your last post, are you referring to the brushed metal theme? Because that really needs to go...

I'm a recent convert to OSX from Windows XP. Rather, a own a nice TiBook for mobile use and an XP desktop.

After a few months of using OSX and the PowerBook I can see why the Mac "just works better". The user interface is friendlier and smarter. Icons are easy to see - you need to squint to see the taskbar icons in XP. The Dock's ability to hide apps is far and away better than XP's grouping of application windows.

Microsoft has been taking such a hammering in the security dept. that it's no surprise they're sitting on Longhorn until 2005. I think they're also trying to figure out a way to make all the embedded Internet-to-OS-to-Office crap work properly.

By the time Microsoft gets Longhorn out the door, Apple will already be ahead of the game with 10.5 or whatever.

At the end of the day, OSX and my PowerBook just works - no fussing with it. And there isn't 18 different ways to do the same thing like in Windows and Office. Hell, no wonder the system requirements keep going up.

I can just imagine the marketing department talking about new ways to "enhance" Office:

"Yeah, I think we need another way to Bold text. Right now we can use the B icon, right click the selected text and choose Format, use the drop down menu, or use the Style Sheet editor."

The group stops and looks around, silently wondering if any of them use anything except the B icon to bold text. The speaker continues...

"Now I think we need to have a taskbar icon as a shortcut to bolding text. We'll put it in the collapsable system tray with the 50 other icons that Dell and IBM users already have."

lol, this is so true. That lousy system tray has 50+ items in it, I always shut down as many as possible.

I hear the next version of Windows will have a database-based filesystem instead of the familiar files-inside-folders we've grown use to. If this is true, it is certainly something to look forward to, whether it is Microsoft doing it or not. If you don't get what I mean, here's an explanation: the current way we browse files was really designed for floppydisks with just a few folders and files, not for the current tens of thousands of files we have on our huge hard disks. A database approach would mean that files have certain attributes, and one file can be viewed in many different contexts. Why Apple hasn't done anything like this is a mystery - I believe something like it was included in the scrapped Copland project. Implementing it in OS X wouldn't even be a big jump in current UI ideas - consider having something like the iTunes browsing window in the Finder...

LongHorn will still be using NTFS and not a new file system... They will just add a service on top of it which will offer database like functions for folders/files. So, nothing new there actually... Only Marketing hype! :p

As for Apple, they already have a powerful search in Panther (the iTunes browsing window you said is already in place for the release of Panther... Finder acts pretty much like the iApps :D) and who knows what Apple will offer us by the time LongHorn will come? Surely something better! ;)

Originally posted by hulkaros
LongHorn will still be using NTFS and not a new file system... They will just add a service on top of it which will offer database like functions for folders/files. So, nothing new there actually... Only Marketing hype! :p

Whether it is a service or an actual new filesystem doesn't change the fact that it is new, and by the sound of it anyway, an extremely good idea.

As for Apple, they already have a powerful search in Panther (the iTunes browsing window you said is already in place for the release of Panther... Finder acts pretty much like the iApps :D)

I don't think you quite understood me - the new Finder does look like iTunes, yes. What I meant was that just like you can browse your music library by genre or artist you would be able to assign files multiple catogories such as "work", "school project" etc. and browse your files according to this criteria. I think the idea Apple had in Copland was something like dynamic folders - one could do a search and save the result as a continually updating folder. This way any one file could be visible in many folders at once.

BTW, is it possible to do live searches (à la iTunes/Mail) in (the Panther) Finder yet?

and who knows what Apple will offer us by the time LongHorn will come? Surely something better! ;)

I certainly and sincerely hope so, but bashing good ideas just because it's MS doing it doesn't benefit anyone.

Originally posted by celeborn
BTW, is it possible to do live searches (à la iTunes/Mail) in (the Panther) Finder yet?

Yes, which is both good and bad (mostly bad, in my opinion, though I may start changing my opinion since they seem to have fixed/improved it quite a bit in the recent builds).

This appears to be the ONLY way that the find box in the finder window works, though you CAN perform a find in a seperate window that doesn't do a "live" search. (CMD+F, just like in Jag)

Back