looking for a program

simplemind7

Registered
hey, i'm new here and pretty new to macs, i just picked up a G3 laptop this weekend with os x tiger 10.4.2 and the guy i bought it from told me that there is an application somewhere on the net that allows the laptop to keep running even when you close it, instead of going into standby mode. i tried searching around on google for a bit but didn't find anything, so i thought this would be the place to ask. anyone have the program or know where to get it?

i'm looking to use it to control the stereo in my car since my cd player is slowly dieing, just use the headphone output as the input for the speaker amp and the sub amp, but i don't want to keep the laptop open all the time, so i could really use the program.

thanks, brendan

Not only iBooks, PowerBooks too. (And this could also be a PB G3 we're talking about here.) Basically: It's just not good for the screen to be so close to the heat. And to install kernel extensions that hack stuff like that: I wouldn't feel comfortable with it...

I used Screen Spanning Doctor to turn on screen spanning on my iBook, but when it asked me if I wanted to allow it to run with the screen closed, I said no. This thing gets pretty hot, and I sometimes wait a minute before I close the screen after I've had it working hard, just to be on the safe side. There are vents on the side of it, but they don't get rid of all the heat that would normally come through the keyboard, so keeping it closed can be bad for the screen. I would also assume that it could heat up the rest of the machine more than normal and cause problems elsewhere, couldn't it?

fryke said:
Not only iBooks, PowerBooks too. (And this could also be a PB G3 we're talking about here.) Basically: It's just not good for the screen to be so close to the heat. And to install kernel extensions that hack stuff like that: I wouldn't feel comfortable with it...
True, but the PowerBooks (at least from the Titanium models onward) are designed to be operated with the lid closed and an enternal monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to them. They have alternate, adequate cooling in this configuration (something that the iBook does not) and it's perfectly safe to operate them with the lid closed.

I guess my rule of thumb is that if it requires a hack to get it to work, it's probably not the safest thing to do! ;)

simplemind7 said:
i'm looking to use it to control the stereo in my car since my cd player is slowly dieing, just use the headphone output as the input for the speaker amp and the sub amp, but i don't want to keep the laptop open all the time, so i could really use the program.

You would be better off buying a cheap portable CD/MP3 player with a 12 Volt power connector for use in the car. There are too many ways you laptop can be damaged by heat (not to mention stolen) by using it or leaving it in the car. Besides that the portable CD player is less likely to skip when you go over a bump in the road.

I'd even go as far as to suggest an iPod here. If you _do_ have the ability to connect through mini-jack, this just _calls_ for an iPod.

Back