Looking for audio hardware recommendations

ramorse

Registered
I'm looking for recommnedations for inexpensive hardware recommendations for recording interviews with my powerbook. Need a couple mics and something to plug them in to and then feed in to the mac.

I'm a pro recording engineer and have used the Digidesign Mbox with nice results. My only thought against it is that it might be overkill for you. It's quite expensive relative to other brands because it's bundled with Pro Tools LE software which must have Digidesign hardware to run. Once you get used to using Pro Tools your stuck only using their overpriced hardware just so you can run their nice software.
For recording and editing interviews on the cheap I would recommend:
Edirol (Roland) UA-25
M-Audio MobilePre USB
M-Audio Firewire 410
Tascam US-122
Lexicon Omega

The M-Audio Firewire 410 is about the same price as the M-Box, but has far more inputs and outputs.

The others have very similar feature sets(or better) to the M-Box but cost far less.

Your best route for the highest audio quality would be to eventually get a standalone Mic Preamp that will out perform most of these 'bundled' preamps. The preamp quality is just as important as the microphone itself. The FMR RNP preamp is amazing for the price. I've done tests against $2000.00 mic pre's and it's very much in the same league.
Good Luck!

As far as mics for Speech recording, any vocal mic from shure, akg, sennheiser, audio-technica, or audix will work fine. Try to chose models that are priced around $75 and up, as quality usually drops off quick below that price point.
Although Shure has been the industry standard for ages, My partners and I have fell in love with Audix vocal mics. They sound incredible and are gaining in popularity like wildfire. The OM 2 or better would be a fine choice

oggVorbis said:
I'm a pro recording engineer and have used the Digidesign Mbox with nice results. My only thought against it is that it might be overkill for you.
Probably a valid concern.
oggVorbis said:
...Pro Tools LE software which must have Digidesign hardware to run. ...
What hardware? We're running the MBox + ProTools LE on an iMac with no other hardware.

The MBox is the hardware I was referring to. Pro Tools LE needs to see a Digidesign audio interface to run, so you must have a MBox, Digi 001, or 002. The old Audiomedia card will work up to a certain version of ProTools(not the latest) as well. Unplug your Digidesign interface and try to launch Protools and you'll see that it won't start up.

Personally, I use Digital Performer as my main audio application, which basically supports any audio interface that works on a mac, including the mac's own built-in audio ports. As does most any audio app other than ProTools.

Back