Looking for Graphic Browsing Software...

Sogni

*gone*
I got tired of downloading and trying different software and was wondering if anyone knew it what I'm looking for excists;

I want to find a program that lets me browse collections of graphics by keywords and lets me tag images with keywords. It should show me the images based either on typed (textbox) or selected keywords from a drop down menu.

And the keywords MUST be user-definable!

Oh and show the images in full screen (or launch Preview.app to display them).

Let me know if anyone knows of such a thing.

Curator (in the CaffeineApps.dmg disk image) might fit for you. This is a bundled disk image with TIFFany3, PixelNhance and a few other items on it, so it is a little large.

Here is a screen shot of it browsing one of my stock photo directories. It does have a text based narrowing down feature. The preferences can be set to open an image in either Curator, the default app or a specified app (I have mine set to Photoshop) when you double click on an image. Also for most of my apps it supports drag and drop image placement. It does not add a preview image to the image file. Instead it makes an invisible file in the directory to store the previews (helps when working with web ready images).

The registration is $20 as I recall and enables html gallery generation and slide show abilities. Most everything else works unregistered.

Attachments

• curator.jpg
    curator.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
Oh, and I noticed you said something about keywords...

Attachments

• curator2.jpg
    curator2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 16
RacerX

How about posting just a link to the software rather than a download link. That download is 58MB.

Okay, the ftp directory is here.

It was updated for Panther and I think a few more things were added to the tutorials. Caffeine Software is no longer in business so Stan Jirman put pretty much everything from the site into this disk image.

This is the Mac OS X only software and does not include any of the Mac OS X Server, Rhapsody, OPENSTEP or NEXTSTEP software. If any one needs those they can PM me with a request and I'll point them in the right direction.

And yes, all the software that requires licenses can still be bought (but Stan is no longer supporting any of it anymore).

Funny iView Media was already on my hard drive! I just got tired of trying everything I downloaded. :p

iView looks ok for what I need, and the non-pro version works for me so it's cheaper.

I'm downloading Currator now, it looks much better than iView from your screen shots. Is the 2nd screen shot - in what looks like the columns view in finder, are those keywords or folders?

It is a Finder like browser for navigating folders.

There are several search options, but they seem limited to any given folder that is being viewed. I have my images broken up into many folders, rather than having a single folder of a lot of images. It is left over from when I had those images on my Rhapsody computer which didn't have Curator (I was using ToyAlbum back then).

Attachments

• curator3.jpg
    curator3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 9
So close - it's painful!!!

Curator's Focus by Keyword does not work (and I don't like typing the keywords I want to search for, but it would be forgiven if it worked).

iView would be perfect if it let me view all of the keywords assigned to an image (like Curator does).

But I do like both in their own ways... I just wish one or the other did everything I want (is that really too much to ask for? LOL :D)

IView's Strength is in viewing many file formats. It handles virtually all graphic arts file formats, above and beyond mere image files. It's not perfect by any means, but it is the only real contender if you need this ability.

Extensis Portfolio (www.extensis.com)

I prefer this one for one reason only. It is the only app I know of (could be wrong) that allows you to burn a cross-platform CD complete with a free reference app for searching.

Its master keyword handling is excellent (though I really have tried the others, so I can't say if it's better or not).

It could stand to do a slightly better job of supporting some graphics formats, like using previews for some EPS files or AI files.

Back