Looking for Jawesome Router

DrM3M0RY

Registered
I was thinking of getting a 802.11b wireless+wired router for my home network and have been looking around for some good picks. So far, one of the best (and prettiest) routers appears to be the NetGear MR814. It's got what I need: WPA, WEP, 4 ethernet jacks, etc. I am NOT touching a Linksys, unless someone can convince me otherwise. So, is this a good choice? Could I get something better for a better price? Do you think I can fly?

Also, what are some good arguments for convincing someone who feels uneasy about wireless to allow it in their house? :rolleyes:

Cool beans! Also, 802.11g is reverse compatible with 802.11b devices, correct? And does anyone know if ethernet-power adapters (the things that turn an ethernet signal into 110V power and visa versa) are any good?

I decided to look for a reliable, cheap, 802.11g router, but I keep running into problems. For instance, the Netgear WGR614 seemed like a leap over Linksys, yet I found a staggering number of bad reviews for the router. Though there were a few who had no problems, or were able to solve them, too many had trouble. Linksys, however, received the best overall reviews, and, indeed, are the most recommended, but I have had the most problems with Linksys. Aside from them, the only decent router I have seen so far is the Gateway WGR-200 router, but there are a subtantial lack of reviews and I do not know if it supports Macs. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and get a NetGear or Linksys?

I might humbly inject a different thought process just to help avoid a possible disappointment. I have advised clients to maybe consider separating the AP from the router. Typically an all in one router/switch/AP has to be located in a very specific place. And in many cases that is not the optimal location to create an appropriate wireless signal coverage area. I realize it is double the cost and adds more complexity. But if you are not getting a useable signal where you want to be able to that is a problem as well.

As for brands I have spent time and had problems with all of them. I would suggest trying to get as good a one as you can afford with my hat being tipped toward the NetGear brand over most other SOHO devices.

Do 802.11g devices have a better range than 802.11b devices? Other than that, after doing extensive research on router problems and etc, would this be a suitable configuration?
--- 333 MHz iMac
--- generic hub --- 400 MHz iMac
Linksys BEFSR41 router --- Dell WinXP
--- NetGear WGR614 802.11g router/ or
NetGear WGR814 802.11b router

NetGear WGE101 --- Xbox

? --- 800 MHz iBook

Also, are most of the NetGear problems related to PC's, and are the newer ones better?

Back