Looking for Networking Suggestions

DisabledTrucker

Registered
Okay, currently I have a Netgear Home Networking Modem/Wireless router from Comcast, I'm thinking about upgrading my network and getting Comcast to send me a Motorolla Modem and building my network myself, which devices will work best with the following limitations:

1. Must be both Mac OS X 10.4+ and Windows x64 compatible
  2. Must allow for hooking up my EPSON Stylus CX6600 printer/scanner/copier into the network and be seen by all OS's for all functions.
  3. Must be at least 802.11g and have NAT/SPI/WPA2 security
  4. Must be able to set a different LAN IP other than 192.168.x.x
  5. Must be "Plug-N-Pray" compatible with security software such as "Windows OneCare"
  6. Must be compatible with XBOX/XBOX360

I've looked at the D-Link and Apple Airport Extreme but D-Link seems to be moving away from their Apple support and I'm not familiar with the Airport, but have read a lot of problems with using it with the PC's and there isn't any x64 support for it. I can run everything wireless if need be, but for the most part the EPSON and the Powerbook need to be wirelessly connected but the EPSON at least needs to be accessable by both with all it's features, not just the printing functionality. I'm looking for something which will also accelerate gaming/voip across the network as well, which led me to the D-Link DGL-4300 but it's not stating that it's Mac compatible and I'd still need something to connect the EPSON to as well, I've used the D-Link DP-G310 Print Server but the Mac has problems seeing the Printer and can't see the Scanner when using it although the Mac can see the print servers config screen. I've also looked at the D-Link DI-724U/GU units but not sure how well the play with games since they are mostly "Office" routers, and still I'm worried about the compatibility with the Powerbook's Airport Extreme Card.

Anyone have any suggestions/experiences they'd like to share?

Your concern is misplaced. On the MacOS X side of things, everything is industry-standard. Airport is Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Extreme is Apple's name for 802.11g. Apple's wireless routers are built around the same standard cards as everyone else. The thing that you have to be careful about is using proprietary third-party technology from Windows-exclusive vendors. If you stick with industry-standard technology, your Mac will just work, you will minimize the need for support on the Windows side, and you will guarantee interoperability.

Actually it's not misplaced at all, I need something which will give me what I want/need for the Windows PC's I have as well as provide me with what I need for the Powerbook as well, which is 802.11g compatibility along with WPA encryption and the ability to access the EPSON Printer/Scanner/Copier. It's also got to be able to primarily support the majority of my devices which are based off of Windows and their features. Primarily the Windows machines are used for gaming and multimedia (think Media Center), and I need it's functionality to work as well. I need something that's "just going to work" for both OS's. And I know for a fact the Netgear crap that Comcast provides doesn't allow for me to do all I need for it to be able to do with it, therefore I need to find something else that does.

You still didn't provide me with anything useful in your comment because I'm looking for reccommendations of which hardware to purchase for my upgrades. Furthermore you mentioned I should use "industry-standard technology" but you failed to produce any examples of what you're talking about, and as far as I'm concerned, anything that's compatible with Windows is "industry-standard" as that is the "industry-standard" operating system.

I'm hoping to eliminate the need for "support" all together, which is why I'm looking for something which is cross-platform compatible outside of the Airport Extreme which seems to have problems with the Windows PC's and is rather limited in it's speeds. If it turns out that the Airport Extreme is my only recourse, I'll settle for it, but there must be something better out there that people are using which "just works" for both operating systems and that's what I'm looking to find out here.

DisabledTrucker said:

You still didn't provide me with anything useful in your comment because I'm looking for reccommendations of which hardware to purchase for my upgrades. Furthermore you mentioned I should use "industry-standard technology" but you failed to produce any examples of what you're talking about, and as far as I'm concerned, anything that's compatible with Windows is "industry-standard" as that is the "industry-standard" operating system.

In my previous post, I mentioned 802.11b and 802.11g. These are both industry standards. Windows-compatible have nothing at all to do with industry standard. Windows-compatible means that you are able to run it on Windows. You may be able to run something on Windows because it is supported by Microsoft or you may be able to run it on Windows because the vendor wrote a proprietary driver. I was advising you to avoid the latter case, but do it your way.

The only way to tackle this is to extend the list that you started.

You know that you need TCPIP support. It sounds like you also need wireless support.

Which devices will be 'wired' which will be wireless?
Do all of your computers have drivers for your all-in-one printer/fax/blender device?
Do you need super tight security or will MAC addressing work for you.
Etc... you get the idea.

Once you have that list compiled in a table - you can start by checking off protocols. Wireless A/B/G? TCPIP? IP Range/Subnet mask/gateway/DNS etc against which devices use what..

IT is tedious, but with a little effort you can take your list and then bounce it against what is availabe on the market.

Now for me- I have two mac in the house. One wired (dually G4 DigAudio) and a G4 Laptop. I also have a wireless IBM T41 Laptop and a Gateway laptop. All laptops can be wired (obviously) but all laptops are wireless. I use MAC addressing in my wireless router.

All these client machines are supported by a windows 2003 server. That server is the DHCP/DNS/FIlesharing/backup server. Why, because I can I suppose. I had troubles with drivers with linux and didn't wanna pull hair just to get my SATA card running in my server. Anyway.

This stuff is all linked via two 10/100/1000 D-Link hubs which are then linked to a LinkSys WRT54GS wireless access point and router. That is fed by/to an ancient (about to be replaced) RCA cable modem. Charter is the feed (ISP)

I use the 2003 server box to provide UT2004 Game support for my friends and myself for the occasional WAN party, as it were. ( I was using my Dually G4 as the server, but thought to move it to the server anyway)

I just made a list of what I need to get done, as you have. Then made a short list of what is available. Did a little 'googling' on what people thought about those things on the list and poof. Done. Easy.

The bottom line is there is no way that one size fits all. Your own network and needs will dictate the network. Sometimes it works great... and sometimes you have to tinker to make it so. Nothing, no matter what the marketing material say, is plug and pray. Mac do make it easy, but you will have to do some modification/tinkering to make the network work smoothly.

The only gotcha I see in yoru list is your printer/all-in-one blender contraption. Printers are still a pain for me, but I have a good work around and am please with it.

Keep your reciepts! :)

Good luck!

I, of course knew that 802.11 a/b/g/n etc. are the industry standards, and want to steer clear of the vendors which use drivers at all for the routers, which is what I was looking for a list of and cannot seem to find. None of the vendors I can find seem to know how to put up a comparison sheet of all their products to depict what each unit is capable of what from a glance, which would make looking for specific devices easier. Which is why I posted here, hoping that I can at least get someone who's looked at the routers and done this research to post their findings here, at least for my scenerio.

All of my devices can be wired, (some through rather long cable runs that I'm trying to stay away from,) and all of them can be wireless too, it doesn't really matter on that point but for the most part the X-Box 360, laptop and all-in-one printer will be wireless and at least one of the two Windows machines and X-Box will be directly wired but likely that both will be. The X-Box is directly connected to the Media Center but uses it's own networking. I definately need better security than just "MAC Addressing" which is why I specified that it had to be NAT/SPI/WPA2 as well. I live in a neighborhood where it seems that everyone has a wireless network in their house and I can "see" dozens of them from my house and want to assure that mine is totally seperated and different than theirs, which is why I need to get rid of the idiot crap that Comcast sent me and get all new equipment that I can do something with and secure better, with government encryption if at all possible and at least making mine "invisible" to the rest of the people in the neighborhood. Something that's impossible to do with the current setup from Comcast that I currently have.

I did have a couple of Powerbooks in the house but one of them burnt up, litterally, so now I'm down to one, but eventually will be replacing most of the equipment here with Apple products, or at least the Mac operating system, if I can get it to work on AMD-64 machines, in the future as Windows XP x64/MCE becomes dated. (I'm NOT going to bother with the Vista operating system at all.) As it stands the only reason I use the Windows operating systems at all is for the gaming and Media Center features, but that's all about to change as I'm working on getting Mac running on AMD-64 and with nVidia nForce-4 SLI, once I do, I plan on creating a "Media Center" for the Mac platform and convert the few "racing" games that get played on it as well to Mac but until I do, I'm stuck with using Windows. (The other games already have Mac counterparts or are in the process of becoming Mac compatible.) The X-Box's are networked for playing against each other and for playing on-line as well as for using the extender features of MCE.

I need to have seperated WAN/LAN IP addressing because I want to use a different LAN IP address than what will be assigned my router on the WAN side, when I get it, I'm looking to get away from using 192.168.x.x. My MCE computer does double duties as a server for media files on the network as that's where all the media is placed when purchased then streamed across the network to all the other devices. Thus far, I have 1/2 terrabyte of storage on it and going to at least double that by next year. The problem I'm having is in all my research, I've not found a single resource that shows which routers can do what and for which operating system. I do need to make sure that all computers no matter the operating system can use the all-in-one printer all the time, which is my biggest concern, secondly that the media/gaming/voip performance is given priority over someone just "checking emails", so that I can drop the lag on the network between the consoles and PC's as well as with their online presence. Having 8MB/s service is kinda redundant when someone who has 1MB/s service can run rings around you online due to latencies in your own network.

I had heard the D-Link's were best at this when it come to gaming but am unsure of how they play with the Apples, since the Powerbook seems to be having problems with even finding the printer when using a D-Link print server that's supposed to be compatible with the Mac's. It seems that the Apple Airport Express is limited to only 802.11g and nothing above it, which I'm looking to use for reasons I specified above, which is why I'm looking towards 802.11n or 802.11g with "speed boost" of some sort. Even if the Mac OS can't take advantage, (at least not yet,) of this, I still want it for the PC's and XBox's. Furthermore, I've read tons of complaints about the Airport Express having problems with Windows machines for one reason or another and I'm trying to steer clear of something that's going to be knocking anyone off-line every chance it gets (the Linksys equipment I've used previously was great for that as well, reason I'm not looking at Linksys at all right now). I've looked at other companies products, such as Netgear, (what Comcast is currently using for it's networking package in my area,) Buffalo, and I've used Linksys in the past and wasn't impressed by it so I'm not looking to go back to Linksys anytime soon, but I'm unsure of what else to look at that others in the Apple crowd has found that "just works" with their set-ups. Most if not all the companies are dropping support for the Apple products or at least that's how it seems because of the lack of mention for Apple's Mac OS in their feature lists. Buffalo for example only said that certain models that don't exist on their site were compatible with Apple's Mac OS X but that's of no help at all to me.

The "Plug-N-Pray" reference was to the software part of the router, in where I'm also looking for one that uses "UPNP" for controlling the ports and such in it from software on my computers and X-Boxs, be it Zone-Alarm or Windows OneCare, (OneCare is my current choice at the moment though, but I've also used others in the past that does the best job for my needs,) or whatever. Either way, I'm looking for something that can be controlled by the operating system, if I choose to use it that way, such as for opening ports for yahoo IM without having to go into the port forwarding page each time I use it to open the ports for it to have a web-cam session for an example. Or the X-Box can open the ports itself to play a Halo multiplayer match against someone across the planet for another one, while a video created on the Powerbook in another room is transferred to the Media Center that's also streaming an HDTV broadcast to the X-Box 360 connected to the TV in yet another room, while yet the other computer is scanning in pictures that someone sent of other family members that may also be printing out for sending to even other family members simultainously, all without lagging down the network as much as possible. (This is a serious scenerio where I am, though the computers are also doing other things simultainously as well but for the most part not requiring networking. That still doesn't say anything about VOIP that may be taking place at the same time as well.)

Hopefully this more detailed explanation will be of more help for those of you who think it's such a hard thing to come up with product names of equipment they may be using for their network that has similarly networked hardware attached to it. 2 PC's, 1+ Mac's, X-Box, X-Box 360, EPSON Multi-Use device, and all talking nicely to each other all wirelessly. Seriously, I could just go buy a USB hub, and find some 100'+ USB cables and run the EPSON Multi-Use device to each computer that way, but I'm not looking at going that route if I can steer clear of it and I'm looking for each device to be able to be on the same sub-net without having to run wires everywhere. Hence the need for something that's wireless and has protection beyond just "Mac Addressing" and WEP as the crap router that comes from Comcast provides. Believe me when I tell you that they are crap, I've had mine hacked at least several times now already by kids in the neighborhood just looking for something to do besides running the streets with their parents guns taking target practice at anything that moves and somethings that don't. And with the things I have on my systems I don't need for people to be able to hack into them, at least not so easily that it can be done twice in the same week by the same person.

This may or may not help you but here are some webs sites that may help you.

MacWireless
MacWindows
Accelerate Your macintosh & their excellent drive search database
MacOSXHints

Also wireless is NOT Windows only! Now the older G5/G4/G3 macs can only get 802.11b/g. Now i have sen reports the the new intel Macs also get 802.11a. Now a thing to remember is in ANY wireless environment there are two things to keep in the back of your mind (not withstanding getting on the network) the wireless network is as fast (in the b/g/a realm of thinking) as the slowest computer network speed. So if the home wireless router that does b & g, and a "b" computer comes on network, the router will switch to b. So now you understand the complexity of wireless.

Now I can also tell you that will my old 2001 Powerbook G4 I can walk into most any apartment complex and get at least 25 unsecured wireless points and USE them (to get out the internet) with no problem! They include D-Links, Netgears, Linksys and some others. Now I want to make it clear hear I no longer do this because now in some US states it is illegal to use someone else's bandwidth without their permission.

So if you want to use Macs and an Xbox on wireless, then use Google with those three terms (XBox+Wireless+Mac). I bet you will get a plethora of things to read to base your router buying decision.

Back