Looking for nice little 3d app

hellatoms

Registered
Does anyone know of a nice little 3d app that I can render basic text/shapes/vectors with? I'm looking to export Adobe Illustrator vectors and extrude, rotate, etc.

I had worked a bit with some gigantically expensive programs at school, but I don't need all the features. Any homegrown apps out there that are free or super cheap (and easy to use)?

You might try a great little program called Blender, which is open-source that has been ported to os x (though you may or may not need to install Xfree86).

u can use Adobe Dimensions for 3D vector based images and then use them in Illustrator the only thing is that you have to use Dimensions in classic mode… Or go for Sketchup

adambyte's link is for POV-Ray, an open-source ray tracer. Last time I checked, Pov-ray has no graphical means for creating scenes - you define 3d scenes through a textual language, and then it renders them.

That said, it produces beautiful results - quite impressive. But it uses it's own rendering engine, and does NOT leverage your computer's graphics accelerator hardware. No OpenGL here - code in, bitmap files out.

Of course, I can't rule out that they've added that since the last time I checked out a version....

Back