Looking for some help here with this system?

camgangrel21

Mac Programer
I have a friend that has a Power Macintosh 5400/180 that needs a new hard drive and a CD Rom for it. Now what I want to know is it going to worth it to put out the money to make this mac happy and runing? If it is worth it. Has anyone got OS X running on the Mac or is it something to stay away from?
And for all of you that would say make a fish tank out of it. All I have to say is get a life. Now he is also looking at selling it of someone wants it. I have no way of telling you how much it would be to ship it. But I can say that when I shiped the iMac of mine, it cost me about 50.00 to ship that. Now just add about 10 more to the wight of this computer.

Any help as to what to do with this computer will help out very much.

'Power Macintosh 5400/180 that needs a new hard drive and a CD Rom for it. Now what I want to know is it going to worth it to put out the money to make this mac happy and runing?' - that depends, considering the subjective matter. Cost wise - no; if absolutely needed by the owner - then possibly, yes.

If it is worth it. Has anyone got OS X running on the Mac or is it something to stay away from? - the latter.

As I have said He is looking a selling it. LOL. But that would mean to me that your first point of being absolutely need is not the case here.

OS X won't even consider installing on this Mac, it's WAY too old. Give it to a charity..it's only worth about £3.49 !!

While it is a rather old machine, it will take an IDE hard drive (nothing too new as the controller might not even recognize it much less use all of the drive space if it does reognize it). and a CD-ROM drive. I have replaced the same devices on a StarMax 4000 which was new around the same time without a hitch.

And while it won't run OS X, that doesn't mean this machine is ready for the trash heap. You can always install any of the Linux/ppc distros that are available, but it will take a bit of work since it might not boot from the disc and will require that a Mac OS partition be installed (issues that a lot of Old World Macs had which was resolved for the most part when the New World Macs came out).

As far as distros go, I recommend either Debian or Ubuntu (I've had the most luck with these).

Ok think you. I think I might talk to this guy and ask him about the linux stuff. seeing how he runs all linux on his PCs. Now do you know where I can find a good working CD Rom for this thing? I know that he will not even think about useing OS 6 - 9, Because I let him play around with my Wallstreet PowerBook and he just love what he chould do with OS X Tiger but out right heated OS 9.2.2. That I have to have on my WallStreet just be able to run Tiger. Just as a side note I hope 10.5 will stell work on my beloved WallStreet, because I have a 500Mhz G4 Upgrade card comeing for it.

Back