Lost all Firewire

Mike Adams

Registered
I have two firewire external drives on a dual 2.7 GHz G5 with 1 GB RAm and running 10.4.8. Yesterday they both disappeared from the desktop. Rebooting does not bring them back up and it makes no difference if I plug them into the ports on the back or the front of the machine.

Any ideas on what happened. and how to get them back?

Thanks

Try zapping the PRAM. Hold down Command-Option-P-R once you hear the startup chime and hold it down for 3 more chimes, then let it go. See if that brings them back.

Had you performed any upgrades prior to your two drives disappearing? Or install anything onto your Mac?

Do you have another machine you can try them with? I had this problem with my old powerbook, and it was the firewire hardware that had gone, which meant a logic board replacement for me, so if the drives do work with another machine, it may be that, in which case I hope its in warranty!

The only recent update was for Java

Plugging into another machine does not help: I am baffled as to what could have caused *both* drives to malfunction at the same time

What i mean is, do the drives work on the other machine. If they don't the problem is with the drives, if either does, the problem is with your machine.

Right: I plugged each of them into a second computer , and nothing showed up. I am sure you are right that the problem is with the drives, but what would cause both the fail simultaneously?

Do you have everything hooked up to a good power strip to guard against electrical spikes and fluctuations? A spike could damage both drives if they are hooked up together or plugged into the same wall outlet.

Also, how old are they? If you purchased them together, it just might be that the mechanical parts have given out. If they are old enough or have had alot of usage.

Back