Lost connectivity

gphillipk

Registered
Our office LAN is configured such that each computer has a manual (IP) address using DHCP. Yesterday, I could not open any webpage at all. E-mail worked (I use an external POP server) and I could connect to a remote server using a custom tool to check another mailbox and chat. Neither Safari nor Netscape worked; both timed out. Yet other people in the office could connect without a problem. I'd not changed my network settings from the previous day, so the following is what I did in a bid to repair the malfunction:
  1. Repaired permissions
  2. Deleted safari's plist and Netscape's plist
I restarted the machine after each of the steps above, but no success. I searched for 'network' and in the results, I noticed there're 2 lists as listed below:
'com.apple.PrefPane.Network.00112475b200.plist' and 'com.apple.PrefPane.Network.00112475beb6.plist'
Both have 'By Host' in the parent column. I do believe this refers to 2 different ethernet ID's? This might have happened when the HD was moved from one PB to another, therefore creating a plist for the new network card. I've not noticed this before and hasn't caused a problem in the past. Could this be the problem? The correct Ethernet ID of my network card is the first one. If I delete the second plist would it solve the problem or would the second list be 'established' every time I plug in the network cable?

Back