Lost "Ethernet Adapter" (en2) ports

whitecloud1

Registered
I have an unusual problem.
I had been using a Belkin wireless usb adapter on a powerbook.
The 3rd. party driver (from Ralink) appeared in Network/Network port configurations as Ethernet Adapter (en2) and also drives another usb adapter using the same driver calling it (en3).

I'm trying a 3Com usb adapter at present but it's software does not appear as any ethernet adapter in the above list. I'm therefore unable to use it. I had uninstalled the software from the previous dongle but it seems the (en2) and (en3) are stored somewhere and are blanked out when the earlier adapter is not used. I thought it was because I manually deleted the (en2) and (en3) from the list when the driver had been removed, but such names do appear again when the earlier driver is re-installed. So I don't think this caused damage. Is there a list of alias in /etc/network or somewhere and is there a limit on the number of adapters it can store?

I even tried this 3Com (3CRUSB10075) on a different iBook and still no (en2) or (en3) or any appears in the list. Is this a fault of the software or the usb adapter. One of the 2 lights comes on when plugged in but there's no activity.

Anybody come across this problem and any suggestions?

JB

Back