Lost telnet ability

Zesty

Registered
Hey all-

Since installing 10.0.1, I cannot telnet into my Mac. Since I primarily use it for unix development, and typically from another machine, this is a bad thing. :(

I see that ssh is now up and running (the telnetd daemon isn't running, but ssh is) but I cannot even log in using that. If I try to use ssh -p22 myipaddress, it refuses. Basically, it refuses everything.

How can I get telnet back? I'm not particularly interested in ssh, so telnet is key.

Thanks,

Zesty

I realized what the problem I was having with ssh was ... I wasn't enabling ssh in any of my telnet programs. When I couldn't figure out why I could not ssh from outside my firewall, I realized I didn't unblock port 22 instead of 23. Now everything's running, and I guess I'll stick with ssh.

In most UNIXs the hand cranked method of disabling
services is as follows:

Edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment out the necessary servce.

You can also edit /etc/services and comment out the port id.

But you will need to get the PID of the INETD process to reread is service mapping:

kill -HUP `ps -aux | grep inetd | grep -v "grep" | awk '{print $2}'`

The above is one line and will locate the correct PID of the inetd process and force it to initiate a reread of it configuration file "inetd.conf", any changes you have made to that file should take effect.

ps -aux is BSD
ps -edf is Systen V

I had the same problem, after 10.0.1 update no matter how many times I put a check mark for allow remote terminal access it just didn't happen, but then I read the above.....

But!!!

When i try and save the file after removing the # sign in front of telnet... I get the "Can not write to file" ?

help ;)

Note, there's an easier way to find inetd's PID to HUP it: use /var/run/inetd.pid,

kill -1 `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

The reason my line for killing inetd with a HUP was a little extended, is that it is platform independant, i.e. it will work on any UNIX, BSD or SYSTEM V.

/var/run/xyz.pid is pretty much a vendor specific implementation.

Thanks for the info though on where the PID is stored under MacOSX.

Zesty,

Im having the same problem you described earlier, but i didnt quite understand your solution. Sorry that i am a unix newbie, but could you explain in a little more detail how to get ssh running for me?

Thanks

The core of the problem is that Apple switched from telnet to ssh for remote shell access between 10.0 and 10.0.1
ssh runs on a different port than telnet and is an entirely different protocol.
Luckly many GUI telnet clients support the ssh protocol as well.
Apple also bundles a CLI client for ssh (called ssh) with 10.0.1 .
To start sshd (the ssh server application) just activate remote shell access in the network preferences.

Back