Lots of ?????? (literally) in Terminal

gkjapan

Registered
Some files and directories in Terminal show up as ???????. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Gary

1. What is your hard disk format (UFS/HFS/HFS+)?

2. Do you have MacOS 9 installed?

3. Are the folders in question MacOS 9 files/folders?

4. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Right. Mac OS 9 has a much broader set of characters from which to choose in many cases. I'm OS 9-free (I'm even reformatting my partitions as UFS!) as of whenever I get my hands on the Photoshop 7.0 upgrade. Life was great with OS 8; it was fine with OS 9; but I've found my zen with OS X!

That's a much better iteration of what I tried to say. Mac OS 9 isn't as good at the system-level for character support as OS X, but ALL of the Classic applications, the way I understand it, support its full capabilities. Not all Mac OS X applications support Unicode (in fact, the number that do can probably be counted on fingers and toes).

...gender is behavior; sex is anatomy. The gender of your writing is butch (passive, top, whatever), but to assume that a butch person is male (a sex), or that a femme (active, bottom, whatever) person is female (another sex), is problematic. Anyhoo, you're MUCH better than me at explaining Unicode support in OS X.

There was a LOT of controversy about definitions around ten years ago--the OED sidestepped it in 1989; I don't know how they've updated it, if at all. I wasn't aware that Cambridge had gone the synonym route. Very interesting. Thanks!

You are right about the Japanese characters. All the question marks seem to be files that are Japanese. I guess I'll have to try to find some replacement for the terminal that reads kanji.

Thanks.

terminal emulator (Terminal) may be able to display non VT-100 characters OK, but it would not be VT100 compatible any more.

Furhtermore, you will have to find an ls and shell replacement which actually would use the extended capabilities of the Japanese version of VT100 you seem to need.

Good luck on your quest.

If I were, say, SMART, I would've noticed the "japan" string in dkjapan's username and figured out the problem. This is a UNIX issue, not OS X, right? The terminals and terminal emulators ALL work in SAE (Standard American English) ASCII (American Standards for Communication and Information Isomething), right?

has this situation changed with macos 10.2?
I would love to get my information in vi rather then in M$word. Is there any way to get the source code for terminal?

Originally posted by chenly
Right. Mac OS 9 has a much broader set of characters from which to choose in many cases. I'm OS 9-free (I'm even reformatting my partitions as UFS!) as of whenever I get my hands on the Photoshop 7.0 upgrade. Life was great with OS 8; it was fine with OS 9; but I've found my zen with OS X!

You guys should check what packages/terminal apps fink can download for you.

This is really a thread for the darwin forum, I doubt all the unix users there frequent this forum that often. You should ask a mod to move this thread over there.

To fix this problem:

1. Terminal > Preferences

2. Go to Shell

3. Change the chracter encoding to UTF-8

:)

Back