Lots of stuff is wrong...

jonny_wonny

Registered
It all started when my Mac wouldn't boot up. It got to the screen with the Apple and the little loading icon, but it just stayed there forever. I booted from the installation disk and ran the Disk Utility. I tried to verify the disk. It got about half way through when it gave me and error saying that the disk had an "Invalid node strcuture" or something like that. Luckily I had a windows partition, so I booted that and checked it out on the internet. Apparently the only solution was to reformat and reinstall. So I did that, and now it boots, but things seem to be wrong. Now when I try to run the Permissions repairing thing in Disk Utility it just freezes part of the way through. Things in general seem to be slower. Sometimes when I start up, there's a 10 second period where my computer freezes. Also, Photo Booth doesn't work. It takes like a minute to start up (during which my computer remains almost completely unresponsive) and then it just shows a black screen. I'm guess that means my iSight isn't working.

So I don't know what is wrong. With such a wide range of problems it seems a bit hard to pinpoint the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

sure - try your Hardware test. You can boot your MacBook Pro with your restore DVD. hold the letter D (for Diagnostic) after restarting your MacBookPro. This will boot to the test. Run the test, you can also select the extended test. You may get an error message of some kind, or it may pass.

If you can't remove your Windows partition, you may have a problem with your hard drive. You can boot to your restore DVD holding the letter C, which will bring up the restore screens. Go to the menus, choose Utilities, and select Disk Utility. Select your drive (the line with the drive manufacturer's info), and select the partition tab. Choose a different partition scheme (anything different), and click the Partition button. When that completes, click on the Erase tab, and erase your hard drive, which will cause it to revert to the single partition. Quit the Disk Utility, and continue on with the restore.

First thought - before removing the partition, make sure you have everything backed up that you want to keep, this process will remove EVERYTHING on the drive, and restore your original system.

If you get errors when you try the partition things - get the hard drive replaced, it should be in warranty.

Sorry - but I have to ask ...

If you can get into single user mode:
Try running an fsck: fsck -y

If you can't get into single user mode - and you have another mac, you can put this one in target disk mode and do the checks from the other computer.

Back