Lower than expected iPod Nano sales

-- my first post! long time reader, first time poster! --

It was reported by AppleInsider last Tuesday that iPod Nano's sales are much lower than anticipated, with stores selling just 1 fifth of their supply on average. This is a very different story to the iPod Mini's launch, which saw the units being sold out just hours after they were available.

So what's the deal? I don't think anyone can argue that the Nano rocks, so what do you think it is?

Maybe it's the fact that minis start at 4GB, whereas Nanos start at 2GB - why spend more money for less storage, even if it does look cooler? Ceroc Addict in a local thread mentioned the fact that Mini accesories arent compatible. This would be a major issue with someone who has spend hundreds on accecories for their previous purchase.

There is also the issue of lack of hype. I donno how things have been up in the USA, but here is Australia I am yet to see 1 TV promo, radio ad, or print advertismeent about the Nano.

Or maybe it's simply that so many people have a mini (and are still happy with it) that there is no longer the market there once was.

I've love to hear what you all think. Perhaps people are making too much of this - after all, Christmas is coming...

Thank The Cheese

It might have to do with there is no freak'n 4GB Nano's in this town anywhere. I know several hold-outs.

yeah same over here. very strange. Even buying directly from AppleStore there is a 1-2 week wait on 4GB nano orders, whereas 2GBs ship in just 1-3 days.

I managed to find a 4GB at Best Buy in white, so I picked it up. And yes, I got it cause its TINY and COOL. Don't really care about the storage so much.

joneSi

you have to keep in mind that this is a 'replacement' product rather than an entirely new line.

if sales of the nano are on the same curve as the mini it replaced then sales are still great - considering the mini was the best selling ipod.

the mini was a new line - its sales went through the roof - there's a huge market for these mid-size players that have already been taken care of thanks to the mini - people are waiting to sell on their minis before getting the nano. i can imagine in a lot of cases mini owners will have bought their players in the last few months and won't be looking to upgrade for a while yet.

also - in recent times with new apple products it has become expected for sales to blow everything else out of the water - like i've already said - this is a replacement product and so if the sales are comparative to mini sales then the numbers are still great. and the fact that sales havent made people rub their eyes in disbelief doesnt mean the product isn't going to do well... come christmas shopping time - the nano sales figures will take off...

it was always said that this was a bit of a crazy move - axing the worlds most popular mp3 player, so this is the fall out.

my friend bought a white 2gb yesterday, his first mp3 player.

you have to keep in mind that this is a 'replacement' product rather than an entirely new line.

if sales of the nano are on the same curve as the mini it replaced then sales are still great - considering the mini was the best selling ipod.

I tend to agree with you parb.johal; very good point you make. if the nano continues the momentum of the product line, or increases it even a little, it should be considered a sucess. All these reports about disappointing sales are from other people's expectations, and not Apple's. For all we know the nano is selling exactly how Apple thought it would.

I bought a black 4gb nano - took 5 days (shipped from China) & included a custom engraving.

Very cool it is too. Shame the "mug-me" earphones are still white though.

I think there's at least 50 companies making great black headphones. So that's not really a problem. (Actually, I've used my old - but great sounding - Sony headphones with all my white iPods. They sound and feel better than Apple's.)

I also think that iPod nano will surpass the mini's sales soon enough. No panic needed...

I might add to this conversation, that I for one am about to buy my first iPod, and unless something makes me change my mind, it will be an iPod nano. I wouldn't of bought the Mini, since I didn't consider the difference in size between the normal iPod and the mini to be enough to justify paying almost as much for something with 6 GB as something with 20 GB. However, the nano is so small that I've just got to have it. :)

All the apple stores I have visited where almost sold out of both the 4gb and 2gb models. Thats pritty impressive..

I don't know if the sales are good or not, conflicting reports etc... but anyways IF they are lower, I think it has to do with the fact that it lacks color options... i think that was a really big selling point for the mini, personalization for the everyday folk.

But the mini you bought had _one_ colour! If you buy the white nano, you'll be able to _actually_ personalise it with the nanotubes (sold later)... I think it just might take some time. AI is already telling a different story now: "Second weekend 4GB iPod nano sales strong"... http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1275

So: All's well again in iPod SuperHype Land?

Jason said:
IF they are lower, I think it has to do with the fact that it lacks color options... i think that was a really big selling point for the mini, personalization for the everyday folk.

Yeah, that's what I thought when Steve first explained the Nano. The mini/nano appeals to a market that appreciates colour options, such as young girls and non-tech people. Technophiles tend not to care about colour options, but would be more likely to go for an iPod photo 20GB+ rather than a 2GB-4GB model iPod. (nanotubes don't count IMO).

that said, from the latest postings it looks like the tables are turning, and this entire thread is moot!

It's not moot. It's interesting, I think, to look at how well (or not well) nano does. Somehow, I suspect, people have come to _expect_ iPod sales to surpass expectations. However at some point, Apple has to come to a point where they actually _can_ deliver enough iPods on time, and apparently, the stores had enough of them for the actual customers. That's a good thing, too. And the holiday season hasn't started yet.

fryke said:
But the mini you bought had _one_ colour! If you buy the white nano, you'll be able to _actually_ personalise it with the nanotubes (sold later)... I think it just might take some time. AI is already telling a different story now: "Second weekend 4GB iPod nano sales strong"... http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1275

So: All's well again in iPod SuperHype Land?

No offense but tubes and covers and cases are no substitution for actual color choices. And personally the tubes take away from the elegance of the ipod design. :p

Anyways, glad to see sales are strong, but I'm still wary.

I agree, but then _I_ want my iPods to be white. Like the original. I just wanted to say that "personalisation" doesn't come in one of five colours, personalisation is something that should be personal, that can change with time etc.

Back