"ls" bus error...

j79

chuok
help!

when in terminal, if i try a simple command like "ls", i receive a bus error... (other commands also receive the bus error)

i've tried:
repairing permissions
zappin' pram

help?!?

(under another user, no bus errors..)

j79 said:
help!

when in terminal, if i try a simple command like "ls", i receive a bus error... (other commands also receive the bus error)

i've tried:
repairing permissions
zappin' pram

help?!?

(under another user, no bus errors..)

Darwin is stupid, these "Bus errors" aren't even related to the system bus. Bus errors often happen because the $TERM variable isn't defined properly.

Here is what I would do:

1) type printenv into a terminal that gives you errors. Then into a terminal under another user. Post them here.

2) consider removing your shell's init script. For example, the default Mac OS X shell is tcsh, and the init script is .tcshrc (that would be in your home folder). You could also try telling the terminal to load tcsh and not to use your init script (just to see if it works, thats not really a good solution). Do it like this: launch the terminal, press apple-shift-n, and type "tcsh -f" (without the quotes). If that works, then you definitely have to remove your .cshrc or .tcshrc

3) change shells! Maybe you'd like /bin/bash better anyway... I do...

4) Manually define $TERM in your shell's init script. For example:
setenv BLA foo
defines $BLA as 'foo'
soo.... try these commands, and if one fixes it, get it so it is run whenever you launch a new shell:
setenv TERM vt100
setenv TERM ansi
setenv TERM vt220
setenv TERM xterm-color

Either way, post what you find out!

Back