Mac 0sx 10.3 And Os 8.6 Networking :_(

Capodastra

Registered
I need some aassistance that I cannot seem to get anywhere else on the net (well, I have spendt some hours searching!).

I run a 2-man repro business and have a G4 running 9.2 and 10.3.
I am networked with a beige G3 tower and a blue G3 tower through a hub.
I have an ECRM MAKO 3650 Imagesetter with Versiion 4.5 of the Harlequin software RIP.
My problem is Quark 6 and sending postscript file to the Imagesetter. I cannot see the Imagesetter when I use the Printer Set-up utility and so cannot send postscript files to the RIP.
I have tried saving the postscript file to a folder on the desktop usinf the generic colour driver but when I switch back to 9.2 and drop it into the spool folder I find the DFENSITY i
:(

Hey,
I have a Harlequin Rip running v. 4.1 and with some tweaking, it accepts files from X. The first question is: Can/could you print directly to it in OS 9? Chooser print, Select Laserwriter or similar? if so, then making sure Appletalk is running should reveal the printer in Printer Setup Utility.

If not, how did you print in the past? Save postscript, then copy/send to RIp with a software package.

Let me know, If I can help, I will.

Mako support Website: http://www.ecrm.com/support/index.html
the operator manual stinks, maybe there is a RIP manual??

Sean

Thanx for your reply Shaun.

Yes I can print to imagesetter from OS9.2 with no problems.

Set up a spool folder in RIP folder, made alias of that folder on my 9.2 Mac and dropped postscript file into relevant screen spool folder.

My problem with X is that it will not see the imagesetter on the network and I can't understand it. Just thinking about it, I will try linking to the other Mac first and then try.

I actually installed the rip onto the Blue and White G3 which runs 9.2 and X and calibrated all relevant screenings (150/175, etc) which ECRM said they didn't think would be possible and I should really line their pockets with £1,500 for an upgrade - like, yeh!! Der!!

I have evn downloaded the latest drivers for the Mako which ECRM say should work with X - I must be doing something SOOOO obviously wrong but I cannot see it - I've been with the Macs since system 7 so it's not that I am a novice, well, I don't THINK I am {:_(

I put the 'ppd' file in the correct folder in the Libraries and I CAN see the driver in Quark, but when I go to rpint I only see my Laserprinter (OKI 3500) in the Printer Menu.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

So first I'll ask, did you get it working yet?

1st question> In the printers folder in X did you make a new printer for the Mako? You can add a printer by a lot of different protocols. Stick with Appletalk, it worked in OS 9.

2nd Question> Can you mount the shared folder from the Mako on your mac? use Command+K in the finder to mount the share. type in something like afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the xxx's are the iP address of the Rip.)

Best of Luck.

-Sean

Back