Mac and Palm

patrickmalone

Registered
Hi,
I am having trouble syncing my Mac Mini with my Palm via Bluetooth. I have Missing sync, but having trouble.

Any Ideas?

Pat from Ohio

First thing to say is "are both systems up to date?".

Second is that we (my wife is the Palm user) found that bluetooth was very slow. Too slow - and gave up. Bought a hard wire USB cable for the Palm and it works about 95%, but still not perfect. Usually connects and syncs, but leaves an error log.

Our feeling, not proven, is that Missing Sync does not like other stuff using the connections. She finds that best success rate of syncing is to do it as soon as the computer is powered up before opening any browser or application.

We still use the Palm Desktop as the thing to sync with, but next upgrade we may change to the Apple Address Book.

Thanks,

I have a real mess. My wife has an older Palm IIIxe and I have a newer TungstunE2. I used to be able to sync with my old ibook with now problem. I no longer have that and now have a mac mini and have not been able to sync either yet.

I will try the hard wired sync with the Tungston, but the IIIxe requires a serial bus adaptor to work. Any suggestions?

i can also say that bluetooth is very slow... like dreaaaddfuuullllyyy slow. trying to send one page, a fax cover, to a printer via bluetooth takes like 2 or 3 minutes. think about how small that file is and then how much your sending from the palm to the puter and back. needless to say, i use a networked printer, not a bluetooth

I use Palm Desktop 4.2.1 on my G4 with a Sonnet 1.4GHz processor. I sync my Tungsten E with the USB cable and [tapping head] so far have never had a problem. I find iCal much too basic compared to Palm Desktop. Hope they improve it significantly in Leopard. I wish Palm would resume Mac support for their hardware. I'm hanging out for the iPhone which probably won't make it to Australia until about this time next year. Won't need the Palm then, as long as iCal grows up and becomes more of a business app.

I have a TX and my wife has a T5. We had an older 515 which broke. They were all USB though.

Currently use Missing Sync for Palm from www.markspace.com This works better than the Palm Hotsync, but can have its moments. You can choose to link to the Palm Desktop or to the Apple stuff (Address Book, ICal etc.).

Bluetooth is dreadfully slow, even on the newer Palms.

We also use Documents to Go from DataViz, but the latest ugrade from v8 to v9 has been a real struggle. Docs to Go lets you save the MS Office stuff direct to the Palm.

Back