.mac backup?

Ghoser -
This is the sort of info I'm looking for!
Well, you don't need an internet connection, accept for downloading the software itself (which for most programs requires an internet connection now a days).
Nah.. our app will be telepathically force-uploaded into the user's brain. ;)
(but will only run in classic!)

You mention that non .mac users should be able to use it... that's exactly my argument! ---

I just downloaded it. I haven't installed it yet, but noticed this on the download site:
• Hardware: To back up to iDisk, users must be connected to the Internet and have a valid .Mac account. To perform scheduled backups, the computer must be on with the user logged in to the machine, energy saver must be off, and the computer must be actively connected to the Internet. To create backup CDs or DVDs with Backup, you must have an internal, Apple-supplied CD-RW drive or SuperDrive and a paid .Mac subscription. Trial members will not be able to back up to CD or DVD.

hmmm... Seems I still won't be able to burn with it. I have no idea of course until I try!

Jcart-
again - my argument is that by doing this - Apple may sell a few more subscriptions to some new-users, or folks who just don't know any better, but it does nothing for the long-time users except make us irrate. Seems they could've made us both happy had it been part of the os. ok.. well.. I'm off to get some work done!

Ghoser -
The sourceforge page should be up by now. Try http://freedotmac.sourceforge.net

J5

Originally posted by J5

hmmm... Seems I still won't be able to burn with it. I have no idea of course until I try!

J5

you don't *need* a superdrive, actually. I was under the same impression at first, and a little annoyed that i wouldn't be able to backup to cd, but i figured i'd give it a shot, and it worked fine using my Que!Fire external burner.

Backing up to iDisk is kinda useless.... for us.... but if you're for one reason or another one of the customers that owns multiple gigs of space on the iDisk server, and uses them, and desires off-site backup - then it's a great solution.

Just my two cents.... Also i wanted to commend whoever it was for bringing up that we're not paying $99 for backup - we're paying for a whole lot more. I forget who exactly said it - but it was kind of frustrating that everyone was overlooking all that you really do get with .mac. I for one think it's worth it. Then again, I'm also getting it for free ;)

GK

Hey -
What I meant was that I wouldn't be able to burn cd's with out having an account, using backup. I downloaded and installed, but since I'm only a trial user, the only thing I can backup to is my idisk.

As far as your comments on it being worth it or not, I'd like to clear the air by saying that it doesn't cost $99. It costs $99 per year. Besides.. how could it not be worth it to you if you're getting it for free?

As far as our progress.. we're trying to decide between rsync and psync. Psync has a front-end (PsyncX). I'll try to keep this thread updated with any progress. I haven't even touched rsync yet.

J5

I wish I had a moggle...

Anyway, just to counterpoint, it's $99 a year because the service costs Apple money each year. Unlike hardware which Apple builds once and then trades you for money, a service continues to be rendered each year and so you pay each year.

I have no personal preference between psync and rsync (which has been ported to X with HFS+ support... does that give us resource fork handeling support as well?). If PsyncX is already done, then what else is there to do? Maybe it's not as complete as you want J5? I dunno, just checking.

What would your custom backup utility do taht PsyncX doesn't?

Matt Fahrenbacher

To clarify, you don't have to be online to burn CDs/DVDs (why would you?), but the Backup program does have to connect to .Mac at least once to verify your membership and unlock the full feature set (inluding CD/DVD backups), which is probably why Apple notes that you need an internet connection to use this functionality.

The reason that iDisk backup is extremely valuable is because it provides easy offsite storage. Your set of weekly CD-RW backups sitting on your desk woulnd't do any good if your house burned down, but your iDisk backup would. Obviously you're not going to backup everything to your iDisk, but a few essential files like your keychain, your address book, your iTunes database, and any Word documents you are currently working on should be backed up offsite for some extra security, and Backup provides iDisk QuickPicks for all of these. Those essential files are usualy only 5-10MB, taking under half an hour to backup on a 56K (and you should just schedule backups for 4AM anyways).

Originally posted by Ghoser777
Anyway, just to counterpoint, it's $99 a year because the service costs Apple money each year. Unlike hardware which Apple builds once and then trades you for money, a service continues to be rendered each year and so you pay each year.

How does it cost Apple money to let me back up to my own DVDs/CDs? I buy the DVD-Rs (from Apple, no less) and I burn them with my own data with my own time all by my self.

I don't care if they want to charge for backing up to iDisks, that makes sense. But to backup to CD/DVDs, they have no excuse to charge a yearly fee.

Back