mac experts needed! second internal drive hookup trouble

droliff

Registered
Hello all!
I am not much of a techie and had help in the following scenario so I'll try to capsulize my dilemma without too much confusion.
A while back I installed a Maxtor 120G hard drive in my G4 867 single processor.
I had both drives on one cable and the 'jumper pin' on the Maxtor was left off intentionally (drive configuration??) The computer initially recognized the Maxtor as only a 30G drive. After scrolling through the partitioning options drop down menu in OS 9's 'drive setup' utility the size of the drive was magically recognized at it's true 120G (actually about 114G)[confused]. Everything was working fine and I used the Maxtor as my boot drive for several weeks and got OS X configured to my liking.
I just bought a G4 dual 1.25 and today removed the Maxtor from the G4 867 and installed it (this time with the black jumper pin in place to put both drives in 'cable select' mode??) Now the new computer is only recognizing the Maxtor drive at 30G and it will not recognize it as a viable boot drive. My plan was to install the Maxtor, and continue using it as a boot drive with my previously configured OS X.
I tried saving the contents of the Maxtor and initializing it with OS X's 'disk utility' but am having the same problems (30G instead of 120 and not recognizing it as a boot drive).
Any input on a solution to this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

Dennis Roliff Photography
http://dennisroliff.com

Did you try changing jumper settings so one HD is the master and 2nd is the slave. Also, try leaving only the problem HD connected, and check that the system recognizes it correctly. If so, then jumper settings are definitely at fault. Also, your IDE data cable <should> support cable select, but not all IDE cables are correctly to support that function. That's why I asked about the Master/slave jumpers. If you're not sure about which positions to 'jump', go to the manuf web site, they usually have clear info about complete jumper settings for all HD models (make sure you look at your specific model) LOL :)

Jarrick,

Thanks very much for your input.
Any thoughts on why the Maxtor is only being recognized as a 30 G drive instead of 120 G?

Dennis

Back