Mac faster than PC?

Originally posted by MDLarson
Maybe you could post some helpful information, like what I asked for in my original post. What do you think is the minimum Mac for great GUI performance? Because a 450 MHz G4 Sawtooth with a Radeon 8500 still is sluggish when I'm resizing windows. And I don't whine about it - I acknowledge the problem, however.

I think we have beaten to death the discussion of why Resizing in OS X is slower compared to other OSes out there... Other than that, SERIOUSLY, can you find something slow? Keep in mind that the resize problem is application depended: Word or Preview.app for example resize FAST! :rolleyes:

For me ANY Mac above G3/400 with >=8MB VRAM running 10.2.6 is fast enough for all OS X GUI stuff... Damn! I can have a transparent DVD Player window playing just fine in a G3/400 iMac while iTunes playing music with NO skipping bits! I dare ANYONE to do the same thing on a Wintel running ANY Windows version even with 1GHz Intel/Athlon CPUs...

What about user switching? Even in WWDC build of Panther a G3/500 iMac smokes a P4/2GHz running XP+SP1 EASILY while using User Switching... :D

Basically I prefer quality over speed: Run a high resolution movie in a G3/400 and move the window while the movie plays around... No redraw problems! Repeat the same thing in a Wintel/Amd Windows XP even with 1GHz CPU only to see that the movie cannot keep up with the way the user moves the window around!

Slow OS X GUI? Nah! Only iWhiners!

Basically, in another thread I posted a picture and details of what I did in my hamble 1GHz TiBook: I was running 3 transparent high quality videos, transparent DVD movie, transparent windows like Safari, Mail, etc. and the TiBook GUI was responsive with NO redraw problems whatsoever! Running Jaguar of course... In another thread I posted pics of OS X running all installed apps of my TiBook (85 total) and the TiBook was still functioning just fine with NO redraw problems or the music skipping a bit! (one other Mac fella run more than 100 apps!) :eek:

And the fun part is that with Panther all the above (and not only) will be even faster with more quality in! I don't know about you people, but I prefer the Apple way of doing things in OS X! :p

And if one isn't enjoying the OS X GUI he/she should really use OS 9 or switch to the Dark Side where things are Fast As Lighting or so people like to tell around! :rolleyes:

Finally, I will repeat this once more:
"Damn, why no one is complaining with the speed of OS 9 compared to ANY Windows versions? They are actually the same GUI technologies therefore they produce almost the same results in responsiveness, that's why!"

RAM always helps. So does processor speed, but that's another matter.

Turn window buffering on, this will add to your performance a little.

Geez, Hulk! You're making it sound like I am constantly complaining about OS X, which I'm not. In truth, I overwhelmingly prefer it to any flavor of Windows. So stop calling me an "iWhiner" and stop polarizing the issue.

The specific issue I have in mind is this:
When I resize a window in Windows, like in Internet Explorer, the window contents redraw real-time. For example, see the "Responsiveness" section on this page. It has a good illustration about what I'm talking about.

Of course I know that actual productivity does not equal window resizing, but it is easy to feel like Windows is "faster" than Mac OS X.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I obviously wasn't in on the other discussions hulkaros alluded to.

It's in the Mac Addict October 2002 issue... let me find it...

My mistake, it's in the April 2002 issue. Sorry. Anyway...
  1. Duplicate the file com.apple.windowserver.plist, found at Library > Preferences, so you have a backup.
  2. Use TextEdit to open the original file you backed up, not the backup.
  3. Enter the following code under the first <dict> tag:
    Code:
    <key>BackingCompression</key>
    <dict>
      <key>compressionScanTime</key>
      <real>5.000000000000000e+00</real>
      <key>minCompressableSize</key>
      <integer>8193</integer>
      <key>minCompressionRatio</key>
      <real>1.100000023841858e+00</real>
    </dict>
    Be sure to replace the " " (2 spaces) with a single tab character, which isn't supported on a forum like this.
  4. Save, log out and in, and you're done.
Another trick is to increase the speed of your bandwidth. There are two ways to enable this, one temporary and one permanent.
  1. In the Terminal, enter sudo -s and your password.
  2. Type (or copy/paste :)) the following 3 lines, following each with the return key:
    sysct1 -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536
    sysct1 -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536
    sysct1 -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
  3. Log out of root by entering logout twice, or press Ctrl-D twice.
  4. To make this permanent, and not restart when your system restarts, enter sudo pico /etc/rc and append these 3 lines at the very bottom, above the line "exit 0".

Back