Mac Formatted iPods on PC

anerki

Registered
Is there a way to use a Mac Formatted iPod on PC? I never succeeded in doing it and ended up formatting my iPod for PC at a friends place. Of course now that there are software updates availible I have to keep doing them at that particular PC if I don't want my HD to be erased.

For some more info, it's an iPod Mini, and yes, I did click on "allow the iPod to be used as external HD" or something like that in iTunes, so that's not it. It works perfectly fine now, just that I have to go upgrade at someone elses place just because the stupid PCs won't read my Mac formatted iPod (which is incredibly annoying).

Edit: If this is "normal" behavior it's a big mistake on Apple's side imho. There are 40 times more PC users than Mac users probably, so every time I tried it on a PC all they said was your Mac stuff doesn't work on my PC, and they were of course correct. The fact that their PC stuff works on my Mac doesn't change a bit to that fact. My Mac stuff still doesn't work on their PC ... Which sucks. And it's not "their" problem, it's "my" problem cause I have to run around with an iPod formatted for PC.

you can format the ipod for mac on a pc (on a pc, to a pc format), and then get the latest ipod software updater, run it on the pc and select "restore to factory settings". that should do it.
however, making a mac ipod work on a pc isn't supported by apple..

I use a great little program called iPlay.

It's essentially a HFP+ Driver for windows, with a few extras.
It can block iTunes HPS+ iPod warning, so you can use it with iTunes, and if your collection is only MP3's it integrates well with WMP too.
You an use it as an external HDD, but you can use non-iPod HDDs with it. You'd have to get the professional MacDrive by the same Company.

Google for iPlay and MacDrive.

Back