mac freezes during start up

pcu

Registered
I installed the following version of logitech cam on my mac. It asked for restart and it freezes from that point on.
Software:
* Title: Logitech Control Center for Macintosh® OS X
* Software Version: 2.6
* Post Date: 6/8/2008
* Platform: Macintosh OS X
* File Size: Approximately 13 Mb
Whenever i restart using the power switch it comes to the screen which has only apple symbol and freezes with that.
I think i should remove that and then it will work fine.
I dont have any mac os cds to reboot from the cds.
If i have to can i purchase any mac os cd and reboot from that?
But I would want to do that without getting the cd.
is there any command using which i get in and delete that installed file.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Removing that software sounds like the right thing since the problems started after installing it.
Hold down shift key at startup (right after startup chime or if mute at around 1-2 seconds after pressing power button) until you see login screen - it will take much longer this way. This will NOT load any non-Apple extensions and you may be able to login, and to remove this software.

Reactions: pcu
I tried starting it up in the safe mode by pressing the shift key during start up. but it never worked. it directly comes to the screen showing only the apple symbol and not even the progressive wheel. is there any other way i can remove the installed software.

Hm... I wonder what went wrong with it.
Do you have APE installed?
AD account or a mobile home directory?

Uninstalling the software would do it - but would first need to figure where the uninstaller is or which files to uninstall if that has to be done in command line mode.
According to this http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=macmice&thread.id=1238 there should be an uninstaller present in /Applications/Utilities.

Do you have any other Mac available? If you do, you could boot this one in single user mode, and launch the uninstaller from that hard drive. It would be less risky than trying to run uninstaller in single user mode.

i have installation cds (ibook G4 10.3.2).
i dont know the version in the system. i got it from my friend and since i am having other system with windows i never bothered much with mac system.
can i start the computer from this version of mac?
i have saved the files in the desktop i know.
is there a way i can unstall them.
i definitely know that the problem of mac freezing happens only after that.
during the installation process it asked to restart the computer and it freezes from that point on.
now the question is without knowing the version of my mac can i use this version 10.3.2? also i have three installation cds which one i have to use?
Thanks for your suggestions.

The install CDs of iBook G4 are bound to that specific hardware - that specific release of iBook G4. If your Mac is any other model - an earlier model of iBook, a later model of iBook, anything else than iBook - it won't boot to install from it. Or it will boot but you will not be able to select any options from it, even disk utility.
If it was the same version of OS, i.e. 10.3.x, and the same version of iBook, then you'd use disc 1.
If it's anything later than 10.3, so any 10.4 or 10.5, using utilities from 10.3 discs would be bad karma for the system.
Any friends etc with a Mac around you? You'd just need a firewire cable for the target mode...

my computer is this:
APPLE M8672LL/B iMac Computer System
i think the mac version is 10.4 (i am still not sure)
are there any sites from which i can download that or i can buy the cds online from any sites.
but i have only 10.3.2 installation cds.
can you suggest me a command prompt to delete the installed file.
or a way just to start it with 10.3.2 cds and removing the unwanted files.
i was using windows for years now i am so innocent that i dont even care about looking for the mac version in my computer.
any more helpful suggestions are welcome.

can you tell me how to get in to the system with the installation cds? how can i go to the uninstaller of the software i installed?
when i put the installation cd and startup the system with c key it asks for installation and nothing else. how can i go into the system with this?
any helpful suggestions are welcome

You could try a PRAM reset. You press the power button then hold down Apple-Option-P-R until you hear the startup chime 3 times.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I already tried it. but again it come to the screen where it shows only apple nothing else (not even the progressive wheel).
I also tried shift key to open in safe mode and that again come to the same screen.
I have installation cds 10.3.2 (i am not sure of the version in my system but i suspect it should be 10.4.11). what will happen if i install the 10.3.2 cds i have all the three cds along with other cds too.
Your suggestions are welcome.

If you Archive and Install you will have a fresh "new" OS 10.3.2 which you can then update to whatever was the final version of 10.3.

There are some problems with that--having done that on my Old Widdle Pismo way back--led to my first posts HERE :)--some of your programs will not work on 10.3 since they have been updated to work on 10.4.

Can I ask how you got to 10.4? Did you have a retail or update disk? With an Update disk you obviously have to load the 10.3 first then update--I do not believe you need to update the 10.3.2 to whatever was the last version. If you have a Retail Disk you should be able to Archive and Install off of that. I mention A&I since that should save all of your settings. If for some reason your problem persists, you can always Erase and Install if you have backed up your data--which you should do anyways of course!

However . . . if you cannot GET to your data, an A&I will at least get you to your data. You can then back it up and do what is necessary above to get a clean and happy system.

--J.D.

Back