Mac Freezing.

Fidhlaer

Registered
I sent my Mac G3 iBook to Apple for the logic board replacement. It may be only coincidental, but a few weeks after the computer came back I noticed it starting to slow down in the later stages of Civilization III games. I found I had to delete the game from my computer and reinstall to start another game at the speed it had displayed in the past.
Today the computer started to freeze up, twice when I was reversing the cursor through addresses. It also, when left alone but on for some time, went dark, and the only way I could get it to function was to push the power button to get it to go off and then push the button again to get it to go on.
I've also been getting a few times today the "cannot open communication device" message when I try to get online. At other times, I've been able to get on as usual.
I have completely deleted Civilization III, repaired the disk permissions, and turned the computer off and on a few times. But the freezing up has occurred again.
This is a G3 iBook with a 700 MHz Power PC and 384 MB of memory. The system version is Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73). The battery is not among those that have been recalled.
I am not computer smart, but I can follow directions well.
Thanks for your help. Francis

Hi there... not sure this'll help... but it's how I usually troubleshoot
my machine.

>I sent my Mac G3 iBook to Apple for the logic board replacement.

Welcome to the club; mine has had this problem 5 times! :-(

>Today the computer started to freeze up, twice when I was reversing

I do not play games on my iBook, so not sure.

>It also, when left alone but on for some time, went dark, and the only >way I could get it to function was to push the power button to get it to
> go off and then push the button again to get it to go on.

I suggest you first reset the power manager unit (pmu),
then reset the parameter ram (PRAM; I remember for some reason that apparently this should be done five times, just to be sure...).

both procedures are described in the apple.com knowledge database.

if this doesn't help, you could also get a freeware tool like onyx to erase
all cache, etc. files & do some other maintenance like permission repair. onyx and perm-repair have worked wonders for me a couple of times, when I had already lost hope!

>This is a G3 iBook with a 700 MHz Power PC and 384 MB of memory.

might this not be a bit too low on memory for gaming?

in the activity monitor utility (in the utilities folder) you can near the bottom see one stat that says "page ins/outs"; the outs should be as close to zero as possible. otherwise you might have a ram issue.

hope this helps...

patrice

Back