Mac-friendly routers?

groke

Registered
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a Wireless ADSL router that is Mac-friendly, the main problem I have is with the browser based admin software not fully supporting Mac browsers.

At present I have an Actiontec (supplied by ISP) which is happy with Firefox but the wireless is getting ever less reliable, so I don't really want to buy this brand again. I tried a D-link g624t which made it through the basic setup but the admin refused to let me set a WPA password in FF, Safari or IE. The visible javascript wasn't a good sign.

I'm avoiding airport base stations as I've heard about problems with using it with an XBox360. Any suggestions and advice gratefully received. I'm running 10.3.9 on a PPC Mac Mini if that's relevant.

Thanks,
Colin

hello,

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a Wireless ADSL router that is Mac-friendly, the main problem I have is with the browser based admin software not fully supporting Mac browsers.

At present I have an Actiontec (supplied by ISP) which is happy with Firefox but the wireless is getting ever less reliable, so I don't really want to buy this brand again. I tried a D-link g624t which made it through the basic setup but the admin refused to let me set a WPA password in FF, Safari or IE. The visible javascript wasn't a good sign.

i recently bought: http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

Admin interface works fine on my Tiger intel mac... Setup/configuration is very easy, my DSL line simply needed my user/pass. Speeds/range are very, very good too.

Interestingly, I used my mac because the bundled 'easy start' cd wouldn't work in Windows XP ;-)

I have a 3-Com Office Connect which I have had no issues with, including my Xbox 360 connection.

Thanks for the responses. 3com don't seem to be very widely stocked from my brief trip round the internet, I'll probably give a Netgear a go.

Thanks for the responses. 3com don't seem to be very widely stocked from my brief trip round the internet, I'll probably give a Netgear a go.

I use LINKSYS quite a lot and have no issues with them too (e.g. wrt54g or the more powerfull wrt54gr).

Good luck, Kees

actiontec seems to have a lot of problems with their power supply. I had one and it was always dropping its connection. I went with a plain-Jane cheap Belkin and it has been great.

I'd recommend against Billion. WHile my Billion BiPAC 7404VGP works with my Macs, turning on WPA makes networking or sharing iTunes tracks very flaky indeed (I dont seem to have the same issues in Windows, though I don't use Windows much so I can't say for sure it is limited to Macs). It also does not remember any settings saved in Safari (have to use Firefox).

just my 2 cents :)

Routers really are a minefield!

Maybe I was just unlucky with the D-link as from what you're all saying the other main brands work ok. Someone suggested running the wireless on another channel in case the neighbours had something that interfered. Touch wood, it's been ok so far.

If (when) I do have to replace the Actiontec I'll report back so that future generations may benefit from this thread :)

Thanks guys.
Colin

Back