Mac friendly web host for beginner

Mazalart

Registered
Sep 22, 9:30am Chanan wrote:

I'd appreciate advice on selecting a host for a simple, headache free website. As this is my first site, I'd prefer a host who can supply an easy to use program, with a wide selections of templates, and possibilities to expand to a more commercial site.

Homestead do not work with macs.

Yahoo claims it does, but was not convincing. has anybody had experience?

Microsoft's agent claimed that there are no problems, so long as I use Explorer or Navigator.
??? Not Safari or Mozilla?

When I questioned, he explained that all design work is done on-line, on their server. If so, Hhis should solve my second question:

My website will be bilingual. My other language will be Hebrew, which is read and typed, left to right. He claimed that there should not be any snags, as long as I have the fonts installed. My operating system, OS 10.2.8, is bi-directional.

I 'd be happy to hear anybody's experiences or advice.

Chanan

If you are thinking about the free webhosting route, tripod (http://www.tripod.com) worked for me very well in the past. They also have some plans that you can pay for, but they are usually for more advanced websites.

They are trying really hard to compete in the weblog scene, but their standard hosting tools are also excellent compared to yahoo. I've used it on OSX 10.2 and 10.4, and I find nothing wrong when using it with mozilla firefox.

Mazalart said:
My website will be bilingual. My other language will be Hebrew, which is read and typed, left to right. He claimed that there should not be any snags, as long as I have the fonts installed. My operating system, OS 10.2.8, is bi-directional.

Do you mean right-to-left?

I do believe you would be fine creating a bilingual website with any webhost, but I do know that some webhosts do not like non-english sites for legal reasons, so read the terms of service before signing up.

I would suggest trying yahoo and tripod together to feel your way in. Both are user-friendly, are very accomodating to custom design and content, and above all, totally free.

Have fun!

Thanks for your advice.

You are right - right to left. (My usual dyslectic self. I only learned left and right after I had been driving for a year - at age 20. The advantage however, is that I always draw or photocopy very accurate maps in my head, and almost never get lost.)

Chanan

Back