Mac G5 Server Hardware RAID Failure. Help Please!!

asyadiqin

Registered
I have a Mac G5 with OS 10.3 "Panther" with standard apple hardware RAID card. I have 3 x 80GB harddrives running on the RAID.

Recently, I did something (until now, I still don't know what I did), that causes the G5 not to work. Rebooting it won't help and the only plausible error message was that the G5 server was not able to read 2 of the harddrives. Now, I have a non working G5 with 2 harddrives that contains important data that I do not have any backup.

First of all, I suspect that the hardware RAID card is the fault as what is the possibility of 2 separate harddrives failing at the same time.

So, now my questions are :-

1) Is there anyway that I can't retrieve the data on the 2 harddrives assuming that there are no hardware failures on the harddrives?

2) Will the two harddrives be able to work again if I replace the suspected faulty hardware RAID card.

FYI, the hardware RAID card is the standard RAID card that comes as option with the G5 server when I purchase the server off a Mac reseller. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was told in a separate forum that there was a program called AppleJack that can be use to repair the harddrives but there is some disputes as to whether it will work on RAID drives.

Thanks again.

Back