Mac Genius's Are Bs!!!

luigi

Registered
OKAY...so what do you do when a mac genius up your computer? I took in my DP mac G4 with mirror doors to get looked at because it's been locking up alot lately.... so he tells me that for some reason he can't mount any cd's..... which I just did last night, re-installing OSX to be taken in to the shop. I get it home and yeah... NO CD WILL MOUNT, I CAN'T EVEN REINSTALL SOFTWARE OR INSTALL ANYTHING. What the heck do you do when Steve Job's people up your computer? Who do you call and what the hell should I do about the fact that now i'm screwed with a hunk of metal I can no longer use....? I'm so upset with mac these days... seems like all the great fancy stuff they make lasts for about a year then goes kaput just so they can real you into their newly designed computer.... I hate to say it but If i can't get this taken care of... I"m going to PC. I've never had problems like this before and they want to charge me 85 dollars just to look at it + whatever problems are now wrong with it. Guys i'd love some help!!

I can understand your frustration; I have also been
rather off with Apple over the past two ye-
ars - their "Customer Service" does not deserve to
be called that...

However, having worked for an Apple Tech Support
company myself: it is possible, of course, that som-
ething did go wrong with your CD drive that was
beyond the tech guy's control.

I'd generally recommend to always use tech supp-
ort that has been recommended (and used!) by
someone you know and trust. Being certified by
Apple does unfortunately mean sweet FA. (I am li-
ving in Bangkok/Thailand, and one can find a coup-
le of good support guys - as long as one does *not*
look for them at AASPs = Apple Authorized Service
Providers.)

After having been forced to change my iBook's log-
ic board 5 times in 2 years (!!!), and having to live
without it for one month (all the repair waits added
up), I did consider switching to Windows - but then
had to work on some XP machines... which made
me change my mind instantly. Besides: a friend just
bought a brandname Windows laptop - you would
not believe the kind of trouble he's been having: it
makes all our worries pale in comparison. First two
months that he owned it, he was down at the shop
at least twice a week - it never worked nonstop for
more than a week... And now (after owning it for
less than five months) the harddrive already died
on him!

Still: Apple hardware has gotten a lot worse - and
other computer hardware manufacturers being
even worse is not an excuse...

Re your problem: did you
- reset the power manager unit (not sure desktops have this)?
- zap the PRAM?
- start in Safe Mode (press Apple & "S" during startup), then run "/sbin/fsck -f" ?
- run Disk Warrior or a similar utility?

patrice
silverknuckle.com
tattoo-source.com

Take the weekend off (or maybe even the week :( ) and start diagnosing the thing, piece....by....piece. Eventually you'll find the faulty piece of hardware (hopefully). Take it from someone who turned a dead beige G3 into a OS X worthy machine, it's going to suck, but you've just got to do it. Pick out a good book to read in-between reboots, because you'll be rebooting alot. ;) Every time you pull something out, you'll need to reboot.

I had a similar problem with my G3 and the way I fixed it was the following procedure:

-turn off the computer, disconnect the CD drives power cable and data cable, turn the computer back on (with CD drive disconected).
-turn the computer back off, plug the CD drive back in, make sure ALL the cables are correctly connected, including the "cable-to-motherboard" connection, inspect for bent pins, blow out the dust from pin holes and pins, ect.
-After everything is snugly reconnected, turn the computer back on and test for computer functionality.

Don't forget, the data cable may have been damaged during repairs at the Apple store. You might want to try connecting the CD drive with a different cable if the previously mentioned suggestion doesn't work.

Good luck...

So - you installed OSX (so the cd was working) but after putting the older Mac in a car, bouncing it around on the way to the shop and placing it on the genius bar, the cd stopped working... and this is Apple's fault?

I have had vhs machines stop working after a short jaunt in the car, old dusty floppy drives stop working after moving a cpu to a new desk, once working zip drives come out of desk drawers only to find their way to the trash cabinet....

Things Happen, more often when old things are moved.

pds said:
...Things Happen, more often when old things are moved.

Especially past a certain age....and I'm only 32! ;) ::ha::

Sorry...I couldn't resist. :p

As for Apple Repair sucking, my experience has been quite to the opposite, that is after I changed stores.

I will also say, every experience I have had with tech support has been better than I have had with Windows based support.

As for the mac, have you opened it up and checked all of the cabling inside just to make sure nothing came loose?

Have you checked it with an extra CD ROM?

Those are the places I would start though it could be a bad logic board.

Back