Mac Hardware supports Windows XP

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
I've read tenth of ideas about the new hardware we will see on Monday.

As you know, Apple makes money by selling hardware. PC users use any compatible hardware and Windows has 95% of the market. Using Virtual PC, anybody can run any Windows software on Mac. Therefore I suggest Apple sells Virtual PC enabled hardware... with Windows XP and MacOS X installed so that they can touch now 100% of the PC consumer base, not only 5%.

And we, Mac fans, will see the price of our machines dropping thanks to the huge quantities sold.

Why would some one want too spend a fortune on a mac to run Windows in emulation when they can buy something half the price and three times as fast and run it natively:rolleyes:

Pc's don't perform 3 times as fast as MAC's.

You have 2 totaly different platforms here. Each is fast in it's own world.

Couldn't Apple write some sort of harware abstraction layer that makes the PowerPC chip pretend to be an Intel one.

It seems to me that the hardware inside PC's and the Mac is VERY similar except for the processor. So it seems to me that they could do some sort of "thin" VirtualPC or do the abstracton part in hardware (think the Caruso chip) rather than software.

Personally I beleive that Apple could turn thier hardware into something that can run WinDoze natively or much nearer to "natively" than VirtualPC.

I beleive that Apple can build hardware that is simultaniously Mac and Windows compatible. This is a much better solution than making OS X capable of running on Intel...

I also beleive that Apple can build a machine that runs both MacOS and WinDoze simultaniously! (Just like they are currently doing with OS 9 in Classic.)

Here's why mac hardware should support Windows XP:

requires a Pentium 3 or better processor running at speeds greater than or equal to 300mhz

The key word being 'better', of course.

:p

Heehee, is that mean if I had bought a XP CD, and found that it couldn't be installed on my iBook. I could ask for refund?

:cool:

youre still not getting it people wouldnt buy a MAC to run windows they wouldnt i promise, the only thing good about APPLE is their OS and software, if it were the other way round people would run their OS and software on PC's thats why Stve wont do it cos hed sell NO apple hardware after that point in time.

Originally posted by FrgMstr
Why would some one want too spend a fortune on a mac to run Windows in emulation when they can buy something half the price and three times as fast and run it natively:rolleyes:

Because they want to use Mac OS :D :D they just don't know it yet

Buying a Mac to run VirtualPC is stupid, but anybody who would be *stupid* enough to do this, would find himself switching from the Virtual OS to OS X faster than he could ever imagine...

youre still not getting it people wouldnt buy a MAC to run windows they wouldnt i promise, the only thing good about APPLE is their OS and software, if it were the other way round people would run their OS and software on PC's thats why Stve wont do it cos hed sell NO apple hardware after that point in time.

You still judge Hardware only by it's performance. That might be your opinion, but I think nobody who uses Macintoshs and PCs, like me, would judge the Macintoshs hardware as not beeing a good thing about Apple. Seriously, Apple hardware has many advantages over PC hardware, it just comes down to personal taste. As PC hardware has it's advantages over Apple hardware.

Yes obviously, weve already come to that conclusion earlier, im just generalising for this particular situation.

sorry, but I just can't leave a comment like "the only good thing about Apple is their software" uncritized. It is no generalised, it is wrong. We might disagree on this, but that's my opinion and maybe that of a million other Apple users.

see the trend:
you need Apple HW to run MacOS
you need Apple HW to connect Apple flat panel
you need Apple HW to use iPOD
you need Apple HW to ??? (type the most important service for you... the one for which you will pay $$$... and most probably you will have found where Apple will be in on next Monday)

And remember, Apple makes money selling HW... M$ makes money selling SW.

That's a heck of a sentence. Grammer police comments aside, being able to run windows apps helps on a mac solves problems. I *need* to run Bowstreet's Web Factory for work. It only runs on Solaris and NT.

With something like Virtual PC I can live mostly in the glorious world of OSX without giving up the wide range of software available to NT. In a nutshell, it helps people make the transition. Without the ability to run Windows apps, my next machine might have been a PC.

I agree...and I add that VPC does run W95-XP AT THE SAME TIME (as long as you have enough memory). This is not possible on PC.

are you people serious ? lol
I would pay for a mac AND pay for an M$ license! When I buy a mac I buy it because its not windows, its stable, its better. I can get M$ POS software FOR FREE from my place of emplyement (yes legally). I dont see what people's infatuation is with M$ software. APple could write and system wide emulation layer like an API to make non apple OSes able to use emulation without actually opening up the hardware platform. It would still be emulation but better....but hey since people want emulation, how about an amiga emulator or an IRIX emulator bundled with the next generation macs ? :p

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Couldn't Apple write some sort of harware abstraction layer that makes the PowerPC chip pretend to be an Intel one.

That's the Transmeta principle. The user, and even the programmer, doesn't know which chip is implemented, it relies on a standardized low-level interface. I'm not sure this is the best approach. Software is more flexible, and the current CPU are all more than enough powerful to do any useful tasks.

I know Intel is working on a 10 GHz chip, I'm not sure it will make PCs better.

It will just let bugs appear faster.

Back